Author Topic: 1891/1901 Census - DILLEY  (Read 10779 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshunt (Park) - Dilley 1891/1901 census
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 December 06 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Yes pictures arrived fine - and the map etc.

Looks as though Libby is going to be an engine driver as well - start 'em young!!  ;D

We went there about bbblllblblblbl years ago - was it that long ago!! ;)

Probably went when my lad Adam was the same age as Libby - it was to show him the trains - nothing to do with his father liking them as well (honest!!)

My brother and I have a large model railway in a couple of sheds in his garden - computer operated of course - can run trains along the same track and double headed - all good fun - but haven't used it this year!!  :-[ :-[ :-[

Will watch out for the TV programme thanks for that - as I said I always like anything on the area my lot lived in - so should be good.

Shows you what a small world it is - you ask about a census in Hertfordshire, and we end up in Barrow  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Keith

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 December 06 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear Keith

Glad you liked the pictures, another wet and windy day here, I was going to go out with our local Sunday walking group this afternoon - they are meeting down at Rampside and doing a walk along the nature trail round there, but it is all along the sea front and if it's windy where I am it will be twice as bad there!  Think I will get to grips with writing my Christmas cards instead, that will please hubby 'cos he always has to nag me to do them.

Reading yesterday's Express TV mag, Victoria Wood is talking about 'Housewife 49', it seems the book was published in the '80s not 10 years ago as I thought - all the years seem to roll into one as you get older.

When I was looking through my stuff last night I found Edward Dilley and Maria Adams marriage (taken from free BMD) was in March quarter of 1878 at Edmonton, is that in Hertfordshire?

Cheers

Carol
Jury: Rodgerson: Fisher: Dilley: Adams: Ritson: Riding: Hayes: Bilsborrow: Birkett: Smith: Quayle: Tomlinson

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 December 06 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Edmonton, is that in Hertfordshire?
Carol

Where do you want it to be!!  ;D ;D ;D

It on the border of Hertfordshire & Middlesex - usually put in Herts - but some of my lot got that far on the way to London - it is also a stop on the canal from Ware to London - so most probably YES!!  :D

Hope you had a nice afternoon - off to watch that prog. now!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: 1891/1901 Census - DILLEY
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 December 06 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith and Carol

Sorry to butt in, but the town of Edmonton is and has, as far as I am aware, always been in Middlesex.

Edmonton Registration District mainly consists of parishes in Middlesex apart from Cheshunt, which is in Hertfordshire, and Waltham Holy Cross which is in Essex.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 December 06 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you Rick, Edmonton will refer to the registration district, which will include Cheshunt if I read your mail correctly.  Cheshunt is where Maria Adams was born.

Carol
Jury: Rodgerson: Fisher: Dilley: Adams: Ritson: Riding: Hayes: Bilsborrow: Birkett: Smith: Quayle: Tomlinson

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:22 GMT (UK) »

That's where I got that Edmonton was in both - some of the villages were in all 3 as  you say Rick - but knew Carol was inclined to Cheshunt (honest!! ;D)

Keith

P.S. from BMD
Edmonton
Sub-districts : Cheshunt; East Tottenham; Edmonton; Enfield; Hampstead; Hornsey; Pymmes Park, Southgate; Tottenham; Waltham Abbey; West Tottenham; Wood Green.

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith

Haven't had chance to get on the computer today, or do anything else much either.  I have had Libby since 8.30am this morning whilst my daughter and her husband went to Blackpool where she had a doctors appointment - and then went shopping again!!  Didn't even get chance to sit down all day she really keeps you on your toes, then I had to go to pick my grandson up from school and give them their tea.  I've got her Thursday and Friday and they are both staying Thursday night whilst their mum and dad go to the works Christmas do!!

Just when I should be busy sorting out for Christmas I can't get any time to myself.  Hopefully it won't be long till I get chance to write up all your info on the Dilleys and Adams and decide where to go from there.  I went on free BMD last night to see if I could see John Adams marriage to Elizabeth, there were lots of John Adams and without Elizabeth's maiden name it is a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack (especially when I'm not familiar with the area and parishes, etc).  Perhaps better looking for Maria's birth first and getting a birth certificate to find her mother's maiden name, I had a look on familysearch and there wasn't a marriage for a John Adams to an Elizabeth on there.  I got Edward and Maria's marriage off there but can't remember if it was off my own disk or not, I haven't re-loaded my census disks since my computer crashed last year either - my computer was really fast when I first got it fixed but my grandson puts games on it and it is running really slow now, considering buying an extra hard drive too.

I will look into subscribing to  Ancestry at the end of January, I am going to be busy most of January so it seems a waste to get it till about February.

I'm off to bed now, I can hardly keep my eyes open.

Carol

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I first got it fixed but my grandson puts games on it and it is running really slow now

Make sure they are not loaded when you start up - otherwise just having them on the hard-drive shouldn't slow the machine down!?

Don't have any grandkids yet - well I have not been informed by my unmarried son!!  ;)

That's the trouble sometimes with BMD - unless you know lots they only narrow it down - if you do apply for any certificates try the local offices - that way you can put down the information you have and ask them to check it - they usually do that for free!!

Must go and do some Christmas shopping myself soon - it does seem to creep up very quickly - or am I spending to much time doing my website  :D

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 24 December 06 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

Just switched the computer on to check my emails and I have had a response from someone in Canada who is a descendant of William Adams (Maria's elder brother born 1854). I made an enquiry a while ago after seeing Adams, Cheshunt on the surname interests board, it seems there are quite a few Adams in Canada now.  I will have to look into that when I get a chance to get back on RootsChat for longer than a few minutes.

Hope you have a good Christmas and New Year.

Carol