Author Topic: Manchester (ardwick barracks  (Read 1053 times)

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Manchester (ardwick barracks
« on: Sunday 10 December 06 21:50 GMT (UK) »
            hello i have only a little info on my husbands grandfather . but hoping someone may behable to help , we no he was said to be stationed in sussex  in the first world war where he met his wife . He said he was  at the ardwick barracks .  we also heard he was in sussex guarding  possibly a viaduct ? but we do not no how true this is . as far as we no he never went overseas with the army .but did join the merchant navy . when  he and his future bride eloped . he is a bit of a mystery  and did change his name . we think from the 1901 census he was named as john milligan  he was born birkenhead . however on his marriage cert he called himself sydney john  milligan.  we have contacted this site before and with the little info we mow have this is our last shot  eda
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester (ardwick barracks
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 06 09:34 GMT (UK) »

if he never went abroad, he wouldn't be entitled to any medals which cuts off our first line of research

if he was at Ardwick he would have been serving with the 8th battalion of the Manchester Regiment, (which was a territorial battalion)

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester (ardwick barracks
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 06 12:00 GMT (UK) »
  thanks for your info
                           eda :D
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland