Author Topic: Marriage Cert  (Read 2461 times)

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
  • 5th Generation - Noah Thomas 1874
    • View Profile
Marriage Cert
« on: Monday 11 December 06 13:56 GMT (UK) »
On Family Search I have found Lucy Thomas marrying William Thomas in 1862. Her Fathers Name was Joseph Pearson.. therefore i think these are my relatives..however why would she marry in the name of Thomas?  I can only find Lucy Pearson marrying Samuel Thomas in Sept 1858 Wolves.

Question 1: I have found a Samuel thomas who was born in 1832 but he died 1837.  do you think this could a wrong date and he actually died later than this, which means Lucy could then of married his younger brother William in 1862.

Question 2 :Where would i apply for both of these marriage certs from?

Sorry I am new to all this and it is frustrating me cos of the dates and names differences

Foggyjano
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Cert
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 06 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foggyjano,

Was the marriage in or around West Bromwich ?

I can this on the GRO index
Marriages Sep 1862
Lucy Thomas  - William Thomas
West Bromwich registration district
Volume 6b  page 783

With this reference, you can order the cert online:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Tanja  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 06 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Are you assuming that all marriages are on familysearch?    Their IGI list is very helpful but it is not full coverage of parish records by any means so there may be many other marriages, baptisms etc  in the area that are not on it.   All BMDs registered after 1837 are free to search on ancestry.com.  Choose the full version, not the FreeBMD one, though that can be a good place to start as the one you want may be on it.  More transcriptions are added regularly.
It does look as if Lucy is widowed when she marrys William Thomas.   You would need to look at the original parish register or get the certificate to confirm that.   If you are not near the local record office you can get the film of the parish register to search at your nearest LDS centre - they are worldwide and listed on familysearch.
Census records might help to sort this out too.  If you can find Lucy in 1861 it may show her as widowed - or show her first husband's name.
Andrea

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 06 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Foggyjano,

I think you will have to provide some more info before anyone can help you.

Putting your 2 questions aside for the moment, can you tell us how you know Lucy Thomas' father was Joseph Pearson ?    When was Lucy born ?   What district would we be looking at ?

Have you searched either the FreeBMDs or the complete BMDs to find any info or are you taking what you have from the Family Search IGI.  ?

Before you attempt to order any certificates you must have the volumn & page munber for the entry in the Birth, Marriage & Death indexes& these can be found in the FreeBMDs( not complete) or the complete BMDs.  YOu can view the complete indexes in Ancestry.co.uk (free at the moment)or findmypast.com which is a pay to view site.

Once you are sure of the certificate you want these can be bought online at

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

These cost £7 each but if you are not sure you are ordering the correct certificate you can enter details, such as Father's name in the Reference Checking spot, then if the cert does not tally with the info you have given  you get a partial refund.

by the way, welcome to Rootschat   ;D ;D ;D

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 06 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Foggyjano,

I think you will have to provide some more info before anyone can help you.

Putting your 2 questions aside for the moment, can you tell us how you know Lucy Thomas' father was Joseph Pearson ?    When was Lucy born ?   What district would we be looking at ?

Have you searched either the FreeBMDs or the complete BMDs to find any info or are you taking what you have from the Family Search IGI.  ?

Before you attempt to order any certificates you must have the volumn & page munber for the entry in the Birth, Marriage & Death indexes& these can be found in the FreeBMDs( not complete) or the complete BMDs.  YOu can view the complete indexes in Ancestry.co.uk (free at the moment)or findmypast.com which is a pay to view site.

Once you are sure of the certificate you want these can be bought online at

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

These cost £7 each but if you are not sure you are ordering the correct certificate you can enter details, such as Father's name in the Reference Checking spot, then if the cert does not tally with the info you have given  you get a partial refund.

by the way, welcome to Rootschat   ;D ;D ;D

Meliora

Hi All, thank you for your quick replies!

I have Noah Thomas birth cert. Noah Thomas born 11.3.1874, Pendlebury,Barton Upon Irwell.

Father William Thomas
Mother Lucy Thomas formerly Pearson.

On the 1881 census William Thomas aged 45 Born Wales (wrighton but think Knighton) around 1836
                                 Lucy Thomas     Aged 44 born Bilston, Staffs around 1837
                                 Noah Thomas   Aged 7  born pendlbury, lancs 1874

There are also three older children born in Bilston

Harry Thomas aged 16 born Bilston around 1865
Ellen Thomas aged  12 born Bilston around 1869
Hannah Thomas aged 9 born Bilston, Staffs 1872

I need to place the three children in Bilston along with Lucy and William between 1865 - 1872.

I have searched Staffs records for births but nothing comes up for any of the children between 1864- 1873 so I cannot order their birth certs til i place them.

Was there a census in 1871 because they may still in Bilston then and may show up on that census.

Any help or direction much appreciated.

Many Thanks 
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 06 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Meliora has just taken a lot of the words out of my mouth - or typing!   The IGI entry says both partners are age 22.   I have looked at census records and a Lucy Thomas born c 1840 in Bilston shows up clearly from 1861 onwards and is with William from 1871 but I cannot find a Lucy Pearson before that.    I was going to say can you tell us what you know as fact and then we can try to work back?
It is always tempting to grab someone who looks likely but it is better to stick to facts if you can.  We have all made mistakes by choosing a likely candidate then realising much later that it was the wrong one!
I have just seen your reply.  In 1871 Lucy and William have John age 12 (born before their marriage?? Lucy is married in 1861, with young John but no husband) Emma age 7, William age 4 and Allen age 2.
Andrea

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 December 06 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Meliora has just taken a lot of the words out of my mouth - or typing!   The IGI entry says both partners are age 22.   I have looked at census records and a Lucy Thomas born c 1840 in Bilston shows up clearly from 1861 onwards and is with William from 1871 but I cannot find a Lucy Pearson before that.    I was going to say can you tell us what you know as fact and then we can try to work back?
It is always tempting to grab someone who looks likely but it is better to stick to facts if you can.  We have all made mistakes by choosing a likely candidate then realising much later that it was the wrong one!
I have just seen your reply.  In 1871 Lucy and William have John age 12 (born before their marriage?? Lucy is married in 1861, with young John but no husband) Emma age 7, William age 4 and Allen age 2.
Andrea

Thanks Andrea, if i have the right Lucy Thomas nee Pearson she married William Thomas in 1862.. so that could be right for her being widowed in 1861.

However the childrens names John, Emma, William do not fit with the 1881 census in Pendlebury... unless John, Emma and William all died or stayed in Bilston before she moved to Pendlebury, Allen could be Ellen cos the age seems right.

So would i have to find out what happened to John, Emma and William before i can place Lucy as being the right one that i have.

THis family seaching is like doing a jigsaw without the picture... great fun once you start to find the right pieces, just frustating at the start...lol...

Many thanks, I hope you dont mind me asking all these questions.

Foggyjano

You are right I do not want to order the marrage cert for Lucy and William 1862 and waste money if it is not the right couple   
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 December 06 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Public Records RG11 Piece Folio 387/83 Page Number 36

This is the census 1881 for William and Lucy in pendlbury
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 December 06 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Foggyjano,

Just wait until you have been researching for about 25 years & you will find you will still be going round a maze looking for the exit before the men in white coats come to take you away wrapped in a staightjacket.   :D :D :D  
But what fun while we are doing it, making lots of friends & aquaintances along the way, all helping each other.  Just ask your questions & we will all beaver away doing our best, but as Andrea says, don't be tempted by red herrings, they can turn out to be expensive.

Melioa

RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk