Author Topic: Brick Wall....Having trouble  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick Wall....Having trouble
« on: Monday 11 December 06 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I have come to a stand still and looking for help or advice. I am  fairly new to all this.
     Looking for help or adivce about the heritage of James J. Anderson and his wife Frances Anderson (maden name not available). I have found a 1910 U.S. Census from Fulton County Georiga, Ward 7 which gives ALOT of clues. The census lists James J Anderson (head), Frances Anderson(wife), Garral Pitts (mother of head), and strangely enough a niece named ...Frances Pitts...all in the same household.
          This 1910 census has D.O.B year dates of all four, there U.S. State of birth and parents U.S. State of birth. I also have knowledge of the wife Frances Anderson in having a son  in Toomb's County Georgia on April 9,1893. I have a good bit of knowledge of the son Thomas Pate Anderson (my great grandfather).
         I simply have not had ANY luck with any  of the four on the census from there...or any other evidence of there existance at all. I have really had a tough time with this and any advice or help would be greatly appricated....Thanks Again.....Frank.

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall....Having trouble
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 06 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Frank

Not sure how much I can help as I don't know much about US records.  But one thing I've learned is that an awful lot of info is mistranscribed or misrecorded.   You might find it worth searching on "ande*".  Alternatively you could try searching on Pitts.

They couldn't have changed their name by any chance could they?

Good luck

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 06 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Frank -

First off, welcome to rootschat. Hope you find this site beneficial in researching your family.

I will take a look later today at the US census records. As Julian said before my post try another name or spelling variation of the name Anderson or Pitts. You may want to try Pate the middle name of your g grandfather.

Will let you know if or what I find.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 06 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome! :)
   James J Anderson(head)...D.O.B...1854..born in Georgia..parents born in N.C.
       Frances Anderson(wife) ...DOB...1863...born in N.C and parents born in N.C.
        Garral Pitts (mother of head) DOB...1832...born in NC and parents from N.C. as well..Mentioned she was widowed..I assume in Civil War?
        Frances Pitts(niece to head) DOB...1889....
   All this info was gotting from a 1910 US Fulton County, Georgia Census. Also states James J Anderson worked in the Steam Rail Road industry.

James and Frances had at least one son Thomas Pate Anderson. He was born in Swainsboro (Emanuel County)Georgia...on April 9, 1893...according to a WWI registration card filled out by him.. Also have a 1920 census of Thomas Pate Anderson(son) living in Bulloch County,Georgia (bay district)...with all Fathie Anderson(Sims) and four children...including my Grandfather Cornell. Like his father James J Anderson...I have info about Pate Anderson working for the Rail Road at some point in his life (....on the 1920 census he is listed as a farmer.)

Any help would be greatly appricated as I seem  not to be able to go further and need alittle push. Many Thanks Again.......Frank

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Frank -

Sorry to tell you I have been unable to find any additional information than what you have already posted on this thread.

Will keep looking in case I may have been "looking in all the wrong places". Other eyes on this site may be able to see better than I. 

yn9man 

Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 06 23:27 GMT (UK) »
MANY thanks for your time...Its a tough one for sure

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 December 06 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Frank -

Never give up Frank. Someone with a better set of eyes than mine or a better idea or ideas will probably be along shortly to assist you.

yn9man

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 01:44 GMT (UK) »
I surely hope so ;)....its one that is very important to me and many in my family...some of whom have been unsuccessful with it as well. Its would seem it would be an easy one... but certainly has not been.... :(

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Pate Anderson - his mother's name was most likely 'Pate'.

There are a couple of ways this could go, based on 1910 census:
Mr Anderson m. Garrall(?) ?, bef 1854
   - son James, m. Frances (nee Pate?), had son Thomas
Mr Anderson then dies, Garrall marries Mr Pitts
 - at least one child, Unknown Pitts, has a daughter, Frances

Can you answer a couple of questions for me based on the 1910 census? (as I do not have access myself) - the number of years of the marriage of James and Frances should be listed, is it?

I am also wondering if Garrall should be 'mother in law'.  Her name originally is probably not 'Garrall' (have you seen the original image? Is there anything else it could be?)

There's an Mecklenburg, North Carolina 1880 census that shows:
Perry Pitt, 56, b. NC parents b. ditto
Sarah E, 42, b. NC parents b. ditto
Jessie J. Anderson, son in law, 26, b. PA parents b. ditto (best to check the original image, maybe this reads 'GA'?)
Fanny L, daughter, 20, b. NC

In 1870 Perry Pitts and Sarah have a son William b. 1857 in addition to Frances b. 1859 - could he be the father of Frances b. 1889?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk