Author Topic: Brick Wall....Having trouble  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall....Having trouble
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Says, on the 1910 US dept of commerce and labor census, they were married 31 years...she had 2 children. I have a record of one son...my great grand father... Thomas Pate Anderson...born April 9,1892.
     One source says Thomas Pate Anderson(son)  was born in Swainsboro, Georgia (Emanuel County)....WWI restristration card...filled out by him in Toombs County Georgia...Signed him name as Thomas Anderson
     Another source say he was born in Toombs County Georgia (Lyons)......Sims family of coastal Georgia...book by Alfred W.Chassereau

Garral E Pitts...ancestory.com database...lists  another possible spelling of Garral E Pitts as   Sarrah E. Pitts.
     Anythng I might could help with feel free to ask and I'll do everything I can. Thanks

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Pate Anderson(son) also died may 4, 1925 in Savannah Georgia. He is buried in Laurel Grove Cemetary, grave #110. I have no evidence of the other child of James J Anderson and Frances Anderson.

Says Frances Pitts is niece to head as well....."Niece H".. niece to head of house James J Anderson, strangely enough....

The original image says Garral E. Pitts was the MOTHER to head of household  (James J. Anderson) but could be a mistake? Its does have a mark "mother  H"...meaning mother of head.

Just thought I'd add that for what its worth...Thanks for the help!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 21:56 GMT (UK) »
There's a 'Sarah Pitt', b. 1832, in Fulton GA in 1900 - I can't get hold of the full info but that might help you as well.  Judging by the given page numbers she may be on the same page as this family:

J O Anderson, b. 1859
Fanny, b. 1862
Walter, b. 1882
Willie, b. 1885

Now this is odd, because I suspect when you look at the original image you'll find this would be the same ones as in 1880 in NC - and they have indeed moved from NC to the same area you find your Andersons in in later censuses.  Yet there's no mention of Thomas (and note, two possible children for Frances/Fanny).

Do you have any censuses with Thomas with James or Frances in the household? What exactly is the piece of info which links Thomas Pate Anderson with the family you've listed in the 1910 census?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Source for the name of parents is a book " The Sim's Family of Coastal Georgia"...by Alfred W.Chassereau. Always known his work to be accurate. I am obtaining a dealth certificate from Chatam County Georgia this Monday to hopefully completely confirm. I do beleive it to be completely accurate...as I have heard the family say it before. Also James J Anderson in 1910 census is working for the Railroad ...Thomas Pate Anderson also worked for the Railroad...The central of Georgia. Like father, like son?
     I have looked at the 1900 and 1910 census and there are quite a few mistakes between the two..with birth dates and names...although its obvious there the same people. However there sons names and birth dates do not match   with Thomas Pate Anderson....hard to say...I do know one thing that strikes me...My grandfather, Thomas Pate Anderson was married to Fathie Sims.....her nick name.... FANNY! Same name as J.O Andersons wife (Pate's mother?) name as listed on the 1900 census......nothing rock solid for sure but hmmmmm............Sure would like to nail something down on this one...Thanks....keep it coming.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Although it would be good to know what Alfred W. Chassereau's source was for Thomas' parents, my main issue is whether the 1910 census of a James and Frances (possibly nee Pitt) Anderson is the same as the James and Frances (possibly nee Pate) Anderson described as the parents of Thomas.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/states/georgia/georgia-county-map.html

- Toombs wasn't actually about when Thomas was born, it was formed in 1905 from other counties including parts of Emmanuel.  If you look at the map you can see Toombs/Emanuel next to each other, the area where it seems your Thomas was for at least part of his youth according to military records - then in 1920 he's in Bulloch, which is a bit east of Emanuel, and then in 1925 he's moved further east to Chatham where he dies.

Fulton County, where the Pitt(s)/Anderson family are found, is much further away from all these places, north-west.

There's a James J. Anderson in Bulloch Co in 1900 and 1910, born about 1850, but his wife doesn't seem to be Frances.  I think this might be him:
http://jordantree.tripod.com/joseph_anderson.htm#James%20Jackson%20ANDERSON

So unless Thomas Pate Anderson was the illegitimate child of James and Frances, this would also seem to be the wrong James.

Thomas Pate Anderson's first child was born 1911, right? Do you know where he was born exactly?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 03:24 GMT (UK) »
I am not completey sure it is the same James Anderson. Matter of fact I'm not "completely" sure of anything at this point.  :o....The child born in on the 1920 buloch county census in 1911... Cornell.... was my grandfather Cornell...I am the Cornell III. My father Cornell Jr. is still alive. I attended Cornell's Sr. funeral. He died on March 29, 1994. We were close.  All anyone knows is that he was born in Bulloch county Georgia...I assume the same household as in the 1920 census. Ralph mentioned in the census is still alive as well...he has the same story as Cornell being born in Bulloch but was very young for much detail. The household broke up after Pate's untimely dealth on May 4, 1925 in Savannah working for Georgia Central Railroad at the time....as the story goes, he died from drinking bad moonshine. Thanks for the help!!

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Also the info from the book "Sims Family of Coastal Georgia"  is........ parents of Thomas Pate Anderson....are listed as James and Frances Anderson.........there was no middle initial "J" listed......thats my own creation based on the  1910 Fulton County census. Sorry to mislead if I have.

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 04:51 GMT (UK) »
frank -

I see there have been better sets of eyes than mine.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Frank111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 13:24 GMT (UK) »
YES :)...There are some good folks working on it...but its tough...no one has ever taken it  past the 1920 bulloch County, Bay district Georgia census of Thomas Pate Anderson. I thought the fulton county ones were the right tract but I'm not for sure now ???.  MANY THANKS for all help, REALLY looking forward to some more replies and advice:)