Author Topic: ( Somerset) 1841/1851/1861/1871 Census Lookup Request Please For James Rossiter  (Read 3229 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
Re: ( Somerset) 1841/1851/1861/1871 Census Lookup Request Please For James Rossi
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 December 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Yep, it's the James at the head of the query.

The link to the 1881 Census shows his children the first being born circa 1863.

I've searched the Latter Day Saints site and FreeBMD but the nearest marriage in Wales is 1869 which is a bit late.

With you being on a roll, I just thought you might be luckier than me in tracking down a viable marriage record.

Did you want to limit this query to Somerset as I have a query in Wales I need a hand with if you prefer? Or would you like to take a raincheck?

Best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: ( Somerset) 1841/1851/1861/1871 Census Lookup Request Please For James Rossiter
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 December 06 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I'll plod through slowly!

The reason I ask is because I have this James in 1881 - the occupation is the same as the one found in 1871 (have checked it again and he is listed as married) - am I chasing the wrong one?

25 Walter St, St Oswald, Chester

James Rossiter, Head, 40, Hotel Porter, Somerset
Ellen Rossiter, Wife, 38, Cook, Ireland
George Rossiter, Son, 13, Scholar, Liverpool

RG11/3561 F 14 P 20

(1871

23 Black Diamond Street, St Oswald, Chester

Ellen Rossiter, Head, M, 29, Cook, Dublin Kingstown
George Rossiter, Son, 3, Liverpool

RG10/3733 F 6 P 11)

Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ( Somerset) 1841/1851/1861/1871 Census Lookup Request Please For James Rossi
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 December 06 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Sorry, this is not the one but thanks for looking it up as I don't appear to have it.

If you go back to the top of this thread to the first posting and click on the link that will show you James in the 1881 Census. Click the household link on the census and it should list James with his wife Ann and four children.

I'm just trying to get a valid marriage record for James & Ann  to find out Ann's maiden name andthe date and place of their marriage.

Does that help to clarify things?

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ( Somerset) 1841/1851/1861/1871 Census Lookup Request Please For James Rossiter
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 December 06 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Well, this one's driving me mad....!

In 1851, there were the following Anns born between 1840 and 1844 in Llandogo

Ann Hopkin b.1840
Ann Hughes b. 1844
Ann Molton b.1843
Ann Morris b. 1842
Ann Reynolds b.1840
Mary Ann Robbins b.1844

Doesn't help much I know...as I said, I'll plod through slowly!

Was Ann definitely the Mother of all the children?  Just looking at the 10 year gap between Harriet and Ann.

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Thanks for that. I see what you are getting at. You could well be right that Ann may be John's second wife.

The only information I have is from the census. All I can suggest is to try to find James born 1839 with his family in various censuses and see if a first wife appears. Does that sound logical?

Best wishes

rcuser

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Have been having a look for the births of the children and can't see any of them (including Ann! ::) )

So, here's another angle...was Ann married before, had the older children and then remarried James who accepted Ann's children as his own - therefore giving them the name Rossiter on the 1881 census?

Questions, questions....

Regards, Emma ;)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:35 GMT (UK) »
The reason I ask is this:

Coychurch Village, Glamorgan

Mary Jenkins, Head, 69, W, Colliers Widow, Coychurch
Elizabeth Jenkins, Daughter, 44, Coychurch
Rees Jenkins, Son, 35, Coychurch
James Rossiter, Visitor, 32, Unm, Labourer, Evercreech Somerset

RG10/5412 F 58 P 9

Regards, Emma ;)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:41 GMT (UK) »
There was a James Rossiter born Shepton Mallet district in 1842, and there is a death entry for 1843.  There is also a James Rossiter born c 1845 (can you gain six years in age over a 20 year period?)

Stop me if you know where these people fit in already...

South St, Evercreech

Anna Rossiter, Head, U, 41, Silk Winder, Evercreech
William Rossiter, Son, 8, Scholar, Shepton
James Rossiter, Son, 6, Scholar, Evercreech

HO107/1933 F 205 P 18

Regards, Emma ;)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Think I'm after the wrong one again - Weaver, Labourer, Blacksmith - mind you, elimination is the key!

Evercreech, Somerset

Anna Rosseter, Head, Un, 50, Silk Winder, Evercreech
William Rosseter, Son, 19, Horsehair Weaver, Evercreech
James Rosseter, Son, 16, Horsehair Weaver, Evercreech

RG09/1659 F 55 P 25

Regards, Emma ;)