Author Topic: Lookup Request in Medal Rolls for neil1821  (Read 2427 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lookup Request in Medal Rolls for neil1821
« on: Monday 11 December 06 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neil, really long shot that a Pat or Patrick Rooney may be mentioned in China War Medal 1856-1860 rolls (Army).

He was born around 1828 in County Wicklow, Ireland & married Sarah Murphy in County Wicklow in 1858.  They then had a family all born Ireland, which doesn't leave much time for him to be in the Army after this date, unless he was based near home with plenty of leave!  Hoping that going by his age, he may still have been in Army till 1857/8.

His son's army Royal Irish Fusiliers papers refer to Pat being "an old soldier".  Don't know if this means he was a RIF man as well, but he most certainly would have served with an Irish regiment & I expect he would have remained a private, as probably illiterate.

I don't have any more to go on, so please don't spend ages looking - that said if you find anything or have any ideas on where to look next then I will be grateful.  Many thanks.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request in Medal Rolls for neil1821
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 06 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,
There's no Patrick Rooney listed on the China War medal rolls I'm afraid.
However, I then checked the Indian Mutiny medal roll (1857-59), and there's a possible match at least:

65 Private Patrick Rooney, 83rd Foot (65 is his service number)
83rd Foot were the County of Dublin Regt

I'll see if I can find any other possibles for you.
Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neil, that's interesting, Dublin being close to Wicklow and all - has to be a 'definite maybe'.  Found Kevin Asplin's transcription of the Indian Mutiny medal rolls & saw Patrick's entry.  There's also a James Rooney of the 83rd, possible they could be brothers as James is a family name that appears down through the years, intriguing isn't it?  I expect a visit to Kew is the only way to find out, trouble is I don't know the next-of-kin to be sure I have the right man/men.  Thanks for the help, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 06 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil
Could you have a look at the Ashanti Star 1896, medal roll for a Arthur Forbes Montanaro, Cheers Roy

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 06 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Lt/col a f montanaro,RGA,commanded a force against the aro section of the ibo tribe, 15th nov,1901 till 23rd march 1902,a clasp was awarded under army order 234 of 1902 for those who took part in this operation.col montanaro recieved a CB for these ops,is there something you are looking for in particular roy,theres about 9 pages on this operation,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 December 06 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mack
Cheers for that, 2 medals down 'CB, Ashati Medal 1902'. 4 to go, I was also after the Ashati Star from 1896. Cheers Roy

Offline neil1821

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 December 06 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
from Ashanti Star 1896 roll:

Captain Arthur Forbes Montanaro -
born 1862
commissioned 1881 into RGA
served 7 Dec 1895 to 8 Feb 1896 in Ashanti. Roll signed 25 Aug 1896, star issued 31 Aug at Woolwich.
He was advanced to Brevet Major and MID LG 31 Mar 1896.
Was later governor of Sierra Leone.
Died 4 Apr 1914

Medal entitlement: CB, MVO, Ashanti Star, Ashantee 1900, Africa General Service with 5 clasps (Aro 1901-02, S Nig 1902-03, S Nig 1903, S Nig 1904, S Nig 1904-05), Coronation 1902

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 December 06 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil
You are a Star, to you & mack a Big Xmas thank You ;D

Offline neil1821

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 December 06 19:40 GMT (UK) »
No problem Roy. Glad to help.

Only 3 officers and 13 other ranks from the Artillery qualified for the Ashanti Star.

N