Author Topic: death certificates  (Read 6782 times)

Offline abraham

• Email address not working please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
death certificates
« on: Tuesday 12 December 06 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone tell me how I can be sure I'm ordering the right certificate?
I've already wasted £14.00 on the wrong ones !
Thanks Chris

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: death certificates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

I can;t be sure how you are selecting, but presumably you have chosen ones that were a close match in age and in the correct area?

Have you looked for this person over a period of time, to check that their age is consistent over the censuses?

Maybe if you tell us a name we can help a bit, but sometimes if the name is 'popular' you might have to take a risk.  The other option is to contact the registrar in the area you think he died in - they can be very helpful.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline abraham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots
I'm looking for a Henry Argent born Southwark St George . on the 1871 to 1891 census his date of birth is 1855 on the 1901 it is 1859 I have found 4 deaths 3 are born 1859 and 1 is born 1855 which I think is probably the right one but I know he lived in Camberwell most of his life but the one I think is him is in Bethnal green and age 81 most of my family seem to be popping off a lot earlier than this Im fairly new to this lark !
Chris

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris - are you trying to 'round off' your knowledge of this chap - you may be disappointed with the details on a Death Cert !

If you are in fact trying to identify him, what about Marriage and Birth and earlier Census detail ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't know the London area well, but i know a man who does!  :)

Have you traced his family?  If you can find any living in the right area that might be a clue - maybe he went to live with a child in his old age?

A  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline abraham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I have his marriage certificate. He was my Gt.Grandfather so I know quite a bit but don't think he lived with a child. His wife died in 1897 I wondered if he might have married again and was just curious to see who registered the death I assumed he died in Camberwell because that is where he lived but I know you should never assume anything with the family tree
Chris

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Chris

Personally I would wait to see if he was still alive in 1911 then you would only have 10 years to look for a death.  I left my death certificates until last as it is so hard to find the right one.  I'm sure your money could be better spent on other things.

Only 6 years to wait for the 1911 census.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline abraham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylviaann
I'm obviously older than you ! I'm not sure if I'll still be here in 6 years time but I'm sure youre right about spending my money on something else
Chris

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I can find only one Henry Argent born Southwark in the 61 census and he was 6 so born 1855ish. This is him if he was the son of Henry.

I find the nearer the birth the more accurate the age - people either forget how old they are or lie later in life. You can't lie very much about being 6.

Sutton Rog