Author Topic: George GWYNN and Mary Ann HOBBS  (Read 14608 times)

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
Re: George GWYNN and Mary Ann HOBBS
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 22:19 GMT (UK) »

I'm finding it all very interesting - we never covered these incidents in my history lessons at school and I'm finding family history is teaching me a lot!

Fascinating reading though .My Gt Gt Gt Gt Grandfather Joseph Gladwell was convicted of conspiring to raise wages at Gt Clacton.
He was also accused of using 'opprobrious epithets' ???...he called someone a d****d rogue  ???
Luckily (or not so luckily) he was sentenced to 18 months.
Shame we did not cover this at school as so many people were brave enough to stand up for what they believed in.
 I think the letters thatPeter wrote were possibly written by someone who could write as most lower classes could not read or write at that time hence the huge amounts of X's in place of a signature.
Wish I had paid more attention in History though.
Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 December 06 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,
There was a special commission convened to try the rioters so he did not appear in District Court or Assizes.   I saw a series of books today of special interest to you called Wiltshire Machine Breakers.   Of particular interest is  Vol 2, The Rioters by Jill Chambers.   There is a lengthy section on Peter Withers including copies of he and his family's eviction from Ramsbury parish, warrant and committal including a physical description and family history, marriage in Tasmania and letters from him to his wife in UK and his brothers.

The warrant was dated 23 Nov 1830 and a death sentance was commuted to transportation for life.   On 10 Feb 1831 he was received on board the prison hulk York at Porstmouth and later transported on the Proteus.

Let me know if you want details of his marriages, family etc as above.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 December 06 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I found the following marriages in Ramsbury
15 Feb 1828 George Gwynne of Andbourne (sic) could be Aldbourne or Ogbourne and Mary Angel by licence, witnesses Maria Angel and Henry Wilson.
28 Aug 1828 Peter Withers and Mary Ann Hobbs, witnesses James Sweeper and Eliza Cruse.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 December 06 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Jun 1850    Kensington
Ann Withers m James Dunn (three other names possible)

1851   31 Market St, Paddington (close to mother)
HO107/146/593
James Dunn, 19, shoemaker, b St George;s Hanover Sq
Ann Dunn, 22, wife, b Ramsbury
James Dunn, 1m, son, b Paddington
George Hunt (?), 2, nephew, b St G H S

Mary Ann's sister, Hannah, married a Hunt.

Perhaps you knew this anyway.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kentishmaid

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 December 06 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thank you for drawing the Wiltshire Machine Breakers to my attention - I've had a quick search on google and it looks as if I might have to get it direct from the author.  It sounds as if it will be a really worthwhile read for me.

I have details of Peter's marriage to Mary Ann Hobbs, but if you have any further details of his family it will be of great interest to me.

Janet

Offline kentishmaid

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 December 06 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Thanks for your post. 

The names Dunn and Hunt are familiar to me, but I did not know that one of them was a shoemaker (the same occupation as Peter Withers) so that was interesting.

I have always understood that Hannah's married name was Hunter, not Hunt, but I have other families I've been researching who change spellings of names so perhaps it is the same family.

Best wishes

Janet

Offline HazelWiley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 December 06 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello again This is definite as I have the marriage certificate, Sarah Withers her twin sister married John Seath in Paddinton in 1849
Hazel

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 December 06 04:44 GMT (UK) »

Hi Janet !

Don't know if you would be interested in this .... ( or if you already have it - but it might be worth a shot to email this man ..... !! )

Geoffrey Sharman has an interest in the SWING RIOTERS
About 475 of whom, convicted for ARSON, MACHINE BREAKING, RECEIVING, or RIOTING, were transported to Van Diemen's Land (VDL, now Tasmania) or New South Wales from 18 Counties of south east England 1831-33. The VDL contingent of 329 arrived in Hobart on Eliza (224 male), Mary (1 female) and Proteus (98 male) in 1831; Gilmore, Lord William Bentinck (1 male each), York (2 male) in 1832 and Lotus (2 male) in 1833. Three swing rioters, first transported to NSW per Eleanor, eventually became temporary or permanent Tasmanians bringing the total number of known VDL ex-Swing rioters to 332.

WITHERS, Peter: ba 1807 Chilton Foliatt WIL; m ENG ch; m 1836 TAS; d 1871 SA PWIL014

http://www.rootsweb.com/~austas/proteus.htm

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline HazelWiley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 December 06 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Jun 1850    Kensington
Ann Withers m James Dunn (three other names possible)

1851   31 Market St, Paddington (close to mother)
HO107/146/593
James Dunn, 19, shoemaker, b St George;s Hanover Sq
Ann Dunn, 22, wife, b Ramsbury
James Dunn, 1m, son, b Paddington
George Hunt (?), 2, nephew, b St G H S

Mary Ann's sister, Hannah, married a Hunt.

Perhaps you knew this anyway.

Richard
Hello Richard
James Dunn and Ann Dunn nee Withers were my great great grandparents and their oldest daughter Mary Ann Dunn who was born in 1854 was my great grandmother.She was my fathers grandmother.
I have been exchanging information with Janet.
Hazel Wiley nee Reed
Waipukurau, New Zealand