Author Topic: Where the Yorkshire Rgt in the Boer war  (Read 750 times)

Offline lynmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where the Yorkshire Rgt in the Boer war
« on: Tuesday 12 December 06 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,does anyone know whether the Yorkshire Rgt was involved in the Boer war,on my grandfathers papers from the NA he signed on for the Sherwood Foresters in 1904 and prior to that he said he had served in the Yorkshire Rgt and he was time expired,I know he served in the Boer war and I wondered if this could be the regiment there is a number 240 George Mee Yorkshire Rgt.
                Regards Alan Mee
Mee  Weatherbed Reed Fox Bolton Clarkstone

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where the Yorkshire Rgt in the Boer war
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if this will help and I expect the military folks will give more details, but In The Great Boer War, by Conan Doyle, 1902, the following are mentioned:
the 1st Bn of the Yorks Regt, Princess of Wales own, (Green Howards) : (Cape Colony, Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Orange Free State, Driefontein, Transvaal, Johannesberg, Diamond Hill, Belfast).

The Prince of Wales own West Yorks Regt :(Cape Colony, Tuguela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, Laing's Nek,)

Duke of Yorks Own East Yorks Regt:(Cape Colony, OFS, Wittebergen)

The Kings Own Yorks Light Infantry :(Transvaal)

York and Lancaster Regt 1st Bn:(Tuguela Heights, OFS, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, (Spion Kop) Laing's Nek)

The operations for each Regt. in brackets are taken from Gordon's "British Battles and Medals" and relate to the various medal bars.
I think Conan Doyle's book is available to read as an on-line classic so it might be worth a google as it gives a good account of the war.
Fred

Offline lynmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where the Yorkshire Rgt in the Boer war
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred,many thanks for the info.
                          Alan
Mee  Weatherbed Reed Fox Bolton Clarkstone