Author Topic: 1800 Bocking look-up please  (Read 2982 times)

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Bocking Rogers & sons, Hendon1903
    • View Profile
1800 Bocking look-up please
« on: Wednesday 13 December 06 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
would someone be able to look up the birth of ;
Elizabeth Bocking ( ca1800 ) born Middleton, Essex.
church records, census anything please.

I only have a death certificate giving details ;
died 21-08-1877 , 77 years old , thus born 1800.

thanks in advance to all kind souls out there
Pete Rogers
   :D :P ;)
Sudbury Suffolk, Bocking/Braintree Essex, Hendon/Bethnal green Middx.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: 1800 Bocking look-up please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 December 06 09:10 GMT (UK) »
A strong possibility?  8)

ELIZABETH BOCKING  christianed 1st August 1790.......Belchamp Walter, Essex
mother..........Hetty Bocking

HENRIETTA BOCKING christianed 7th Jan 1763......Belchamp Walter, Essex.... parents Jacob & Sarah Bocking

Middleton is next door to Belchamp Walter..............age is the interpretation of the provider!  ;)

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 06 09:16 GMT (UK) »
marriage..............

JACOB BOCKING married SARAH SMITH....22nd Sept 1762.....Cockfield, Suffolk

Cockfield, Suffolk is only about 5 or 6 miles from Middleton/Belchamp Walter, Essex

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 December 06 09:25 GMT (UK) »
JACOB BOCKING..........christianed 17th Sept 1731....Sudbury, Suffolk......... parents... ABRAHAM & ABIGAIL BOCKING

Sudbury is a few yards from Middleton

In 1841 their are 49 Bocking's in Essex and 6 in Suffolk............a majority of which live in the same area! ................. all the same family? more than likely

If you go to the www.familysearch.org/ site you will find the Bocking family ........... start at one of those areas where they resided........BULMER is a good one where you will find enough info to build families as per the one below.........

this site http://nzsghamilton.co.nz/england.htm is easier to use if going to specific parishes such as Bulmer (it's the LDS site in simpler format)

children of Thos & Susan.........all christianed at Bulmer
Thos ..........christianed  1711
Hannah......            "       1714
Samuel.......            "       1724
Mary ..........             "          "
Sarah.........             "           "
Martha.......             "           "
Abraham....             "           "
John.........               "           "
Martha........            "           "
Martha........            "       1727
Isaac...........            "       1730
---------------

:)
Bryant

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 December 06 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryant  :D
thanks for all the info, It will keep me busy over the christmas period.
 :-X this is a puzzle that has been bugging me for a while now, its a theory of a cousin of mine,; William was born to Elizabeth and another father who died shortly after ( possibly a William Bocking - name being passed on and so forth ) with brave William Rogers taking on the family. At first I though it was all conjecture but have studied his facts and all the dates seem to make sence.
 1  William Rogers ---------------------------  2 Elizabeth Bocking
                                 c 1804                                          c 1800
                                                     married 30-07-1830
                                                     all saints Sudbury

3    William Bocking Rogers ----------------  4  Christiana  Lee
                                c 1829                                             c 1829
                                                    married 17-03-1850
                                                       sudbury reg office

1. on the death certificate of William it states that he died 20-07-1872 aged 68 thus born1804 ( by Los and Robin born 1807 )
2. on the death certificate of Elizabeth it states thet she died 21-08-1877,aged 77 years, thus born 1800 ( by Los and Robin born 1805 )
2.  and 4. on the marriage certificateit gives the age for both as 21 so both born in 1829 ( by Los and Robin 1831/1828 )

this info puts Wiliam Bocking Rogers a year born out of wedlock so I see his reasoning, although I have recently found William on IGI born 7-3-1807 baptised 8-4-1807 st Gregory Sudbury, which puts doubt as to the info on the marriage certificate. Elizabeth seems to come from nowhere (On a couple of the census records it recorded her birth as Middleton, Essex) although I'll be following up your info.
What do you think of all this ? Is it just a question of a dead end ?  ;D
the Bocking Rogers name appears spasmodicly in the next Generation but then dissapears.I also find it strange that William and Elizabeth only had one child with previous and future generations all having 10/13 children. :-X
all the best and thanks again
Pete Rogers
 :) merry Christmas  8)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 06 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Personally................

I think that when Elizabeth married William Rogers in 1830 the name of Bocking was added to differentiate or denote William Roger's children from a previous marriage to the children William & Elizabeth intended to have! ............it was common practice
Elizabeth in 1830 would have been at least 28/29 and therefore the odds would probably favour that she has been married before and is not a Bocking (only by marriage) at all?

Their are three William Rogers born in the vicinity and age of your family member...
William Rogers.......christianed 1804 Clare
   "          "          "            "        1805 Sudbury
WILLIAM ROGERS           "         1807     "          this one appears to be yours

their are three marriages of a William Rogers to (listed)
1824 Cavenham
1824 Lavenham
1825 Pakenham
the likelyhood is that whomever he married?.....she died, thus his marriage to Elizabeth Bocking in 1830 Sudbury

their was a William Rogers christianed 26th March 1833.....St Gregory, Sudbury....parents William & Elizabeth Rogers

their was also a Ephraim Rogers born 16th May 1841 at Hundon, Suffolk.....parents William & Elizabeth Rogers and here he is aged 6 weeks living with a family called Sams........why, I haven't a clue

COCK GREEN, HUNDON, SUFFOLK
JOHN SAMS  31                     YES
LOUISA  "     26                      "
NEOMA   "      4                       "
EMMA     "      1.75                  "
EPHRAIM ROGERS 6 WEEKS   "
-----------------

William & Elizabeth Rogers (the parents of Ephraim) are not to be seen in Hundon! 1841

:)
Bryant

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 December 06 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I assume that in 1841 you regard this family as yours?

GREGORY STREET, ST GREGORY, SUFFOLK
WILLIAM ROGERS  34  WEAVER   YES
ELIZABETH    "       35                   NO (NOT BORN SUFFOLK)
WILLIAM       "        11                  NO
----------------------
*the 1841 census used a rounding down process when exact age wasn't known ie 35-39=35..........and based on the 1861 census Elizabeth is more likely to have been born 1801/1802?

GALLERY'S WATER SIDE, ST GREGORY, SUDBURY, SUFFOLK
WILLIAM ROGERS  54  SILK WEAVER  SUDBURY, SUFFOLK
ELIZABETH    "       60          "               MIDDLETON, ESSEX
----------------------             

their is also another Rogers family living in the same street in 1841.....

HANAMIEL ROGERS  32  WEAVER   YES
SARAH            "        30                     "
HANNAH          "        7                      "
CHARLES         "        6                      "
GEORGE          "        4                       "
SUSANNA        "         3                      "
ELIZABETH      "         1                      "
-----------------

the father's name has various spellings....HANAMIEL/HANNAMIEL/HANAMUL when you look at the christianings of his children in the 1830's

if you can find a christening of "Hannamiel" he just might be a brother of William?

:) have fun
Bryant

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 December 06 17:24 GMT (UK) »
hi Bryant
yes and yes , Hanemeel brother of William baptised 1-1-1738 all saints, sudbury. Yep, as for the Rogers-Bocking question I'm in two minds , what you say sounds logical and on the other hand I'm descended from a Bocking with a Rogers name and my cousin who is a Roberts is correct. I'm still hoping that they only managed one child.
On a lighter note I've only just started with Geneology and I'm on overload with too much information ( not to mention I've had too much christmas spirit - Whisky ) so thanks for all the research you've done for me and I'll study it all tomorrow with a sober head.
all the best
Pete ( a little worse for the wear ) Rogers ( Bocking ? )
 :-X

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hanemeel brother of William baptised 1-1-1738 all saints, sudbury.  ;D must have been nice whiskey...............

William Rogers born 7th March 1807, christianed 8th April 1807....St Gregorys, Sudbury, Suffolk...............parents Zachary Rogers & Hannah Franklin
--------
Hanameel Rogers christianed 15th June 1808....ditto above
--------
George Rogers born 11th Jan 1805, christianed 8th April 1807...ditto above
--------

back to theory...................ie Elizabeth has been married before?

JAMES BOCKING married ELIZABETH TIFFEN....13th November 1820...ALL SAINTS, SUDBURY
---------
CHARLES BOCKING born 6th Feb 1821, christianed 26th March 1821...ALL SAINTS, SUDBURY
---------
SARAH BOCKING born 10th May 1823, christianed 5th June 1824 ALL SAINTS, Died 1st September 1830
---------
JAMES BOCKING born 2nd April 1825, christianed 10th May 1825 ALL SAINTS

JAMES & ELIZABETH are the parents of all three children
---------

NOW...............
1/ it appears that no children are born after 1825 to James & Elizabeth?
2/ their are no James or Elizabeth Bocking's within the area in 1841!

is it possible that James has died 1824-1829 and left the way for Elizabeth to marry again in 1830?

Bryant