Author Topic: Three old ladies...  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Three old ladies...
« on: Thursday 14 December 06 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me find the deaths of my three unmarried great-aunts Elizabeth Ann , Helen and Emily Hurst?  They were born in 1865, 1866 and 1868 respectively in Rochdale, but retired to Morecambe, where they died.  I just have a vague memory of three rather scary old ladies dressed in black, and suppose that they died somewhere between 1945 and 1960. 

Although I have searched high and low, I haven't been able to find a death record for any of them, even with alternative spellings.  Morecambe deaths would have been registered as Lancaster, but if they died in hospital, this would have been in Lancaster, anyway. 

Any suggestions, please?  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Three old ladies...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 06 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I had a go at finding Elizabeth Ann born 1865,long job when year about not known :)  but if Elizabeth was born in 1865 that would make her  aged 60 in 1925.There are a few Elizabeth Ann Hurst deaths on Ancestry compleat Death index.Have you done the search that brings up all records .Census,B.M.D. and whatnots?it not as off putting as searching for a death page by page on the death index

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 06 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

Yes, I've done the whole bells and whistles business, but so far withut luck. :( I do have this shadowy memory from the late 1940s or early 1950s of these old ladies, who must have been in their 80s or even 90s by then, and who scared me to death, because I thought they were witches in their black clothes!  My cousins and I are too young to remember when and in what order they died, and there's no one left of my mother's generation to help.

I guess it's back to the drawing board then with the GRO index.  None of the ones who come up on the Free BMD are mine, and Lancs BMD doesn't have deaths for Lancaster yet.  ::)

Thanks for trying, anyway.

Gill  :)

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Gill
There is always the possibility they died out of Lancaster,My G.Grandmother lived in Staffordshire but she died while being looked after/visiting  a relative in Wirral.So going by the the age at death rather than the place registered.Might be better.I will have another hunt, the sisters have to be there somewhere, all three could not have disappeared.Just had a thought,if no one can find the deaths how about (Providing you can get there) A visit to the main libraries reference room and looking through the postal directories for Lancaster.They go under Surname,St Name,Occupation and where published every other year from the Late 1700 (our Cheshire ones go to 1970 ) They are brilliant for tracking folk.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 December 06 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

I'm 99% certain they all died either at home in Morecambe or in hospital in Lancaster.  Their remaining relatives, their married sister and her family, and also their niece and family all lived in Morecambe. My mother, their other niece, was still in Rochdale with us, and they certainly didn't come to us.

Sadly I haven't lived in Lancs for many years, and am now resident in the West Country, so can't access Lancaster/Morecambe libraries with any ease.  Maybe there's a helpful Local Studies section to whom I could write. (Rochdale Local Studies have been exceptionally helpful with my researches there.) I do know the name of the road in which they lived, so that might help. 

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Regards
Gill   :)