Author Topic: thomas and james williamson  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Joe Soap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thomas and james williamson
« on: Thursday 14 December 06 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Trying to establish where both thomas williamsn and james wlliamson wre born.Thomas was born in Scotlandin 1815 whereabouts unknown. He turned up in Manchesterand married Ann Mcguire at Manchester Cathedral in 1845, both teir adresses wre shown as St James Street, his occupation was an upholsterer and she originated from Sligo Southern Ireland. Thomas,s father James was also shown as living in St James Street at the time of the wedding we are sure of them both being born in Scotland , but where. Iguess James could have been born about 1796 to 1786 his occupation inManchester was as a weaver. JOE SOAP

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: thomas and james williamson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 06 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe

This is a tricky one  :-\

I've searched for a Thomas Williamson with father James, born 1813-1817. There are only three possibles on SP baptisms:

1 Sept 1817 mother - Mary Jackson, Mochrum parish (Wigtownshire)
24 July 1816 mother - Catherine Brydie, Greenock East parish
23 August 1813 mother - Jean Clark, Glasgow

Do you have a list of Thomas's children's names in birth order that might help - if the usual naming conventions were used?

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Joe Soap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget, thanks for your message, there were a couple of errors in my last text to you. You are correct in that Thomas Wiliiamson, the son of Thomas born in 1850 was in fact as far as I know was born in Manchester. Similarly his sister Mary Ann actually married a George Birchall not Birchshaw as originally spelt. Thanks Joe Soap

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe  :)

You're getting me confused now  :-\ :-\ :-\

I'll post anything I find on your latest thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,207372.0.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Joe Soap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:21 GMT (UK) »

Hello Gadget, not sure whether this will reach you but here goes. I have read your comments of the 25th. You are correct in that James W. does not appear in the 1841 and1851 census, the area where he lived was never put on microfilm, being only listed in the hardback book version. Thomas the son of James was shown on his marriage cert. as full age the date being 6/9/1846. His wife Ann Mcguire was also shown as full and again lived in St James Street Mcr.Ionly have the marriage cert. of Thomas and Ann then everything goes cold. My cousin Sandra1946 posted a request on rootschatin November and she had a response from BURSY (DAVE) ON THE 10/11/2006. Showing as follows. 1851 census unfilmed address 69 St James St. Thomas head 35 upholsterer Scotland. Ann wife 29 Ireland we think Sligo. Mary Ann daughter 3 Ireland Thomas son 1 Manchester. This could tie in with Catherine Brydie. ie Thomas born 1816. Joe Soap

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 07 22:18 GMT (UK) »
The 1817 one in Wigtownshire is also a possibility, Joe - Mary Jackson. The daughter was called Mary Ann  :-\

Is there any chance of finding them on the 1841?

Gadget

Offline Joe Soap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget, you are confusing me, re Mary Jackson, from what we know James only had a son Thomas. It is this Thomas that had a son Thomas and a daughter Mary Ann that we have traced., who was born in 1847. From what you have given me it lokks like Catherine Bridie, as you say married a James Williamson in 1811 and had a son Thomas in 1816. this also ties in with Burzy on rootschat on the 10/11/2006 giving Thomas as 35 in 1851. Regards Joe.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Joe

If you look at my first posting you will see that there were three Thomas Jamieson's born with a father James at around the time that your Thomas was.

One was born to James Williamson and Mary Jackson in Wigtownshire in 1817
One was born to James Williamson and Catherine Bridie in Greenoock in 1816
One was born to James Williamson and Jean Clerk in Glasgow in 1813.

If we discount this latter one as being, maybe, too early, we are left with two possible Thomas Williamsons. We have no proof that yours is either.

Gadget

Offline Joe Soap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 February 07 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget,many thanks for all of your help during the last few weeks in my attempt to try and find details of  THOMAS wILLIAMSON born to JAMES WILLIAMSON in Scotland circa 1816. Ithink we have exhausted this as far as it will go. Many thanks again. JOE SOAP,