Author Topic: Moloney & Wren 1840's  (Read 4234 times)

Offline caza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Moloney & Wren 1840's
« on: Wednesday 17 November 04 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Can anyone offer help as to how l can obtain birth info. l have a marriage and death certificate that state 10yrs difference in age for Michael Moloney. His parents were Patrick Moloney and Hanora (nee Wren). He was either born 1840 or 1851. l wrote to two different parish's Dysert and Inagh, where l found on the Griffith valuation the parents names, but with no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ellis, Blanck, Planck, Cody, Moloney/ Maloney, Wren, Gray, Clouston, Whelan, Alford, Anderson, Pringle.

Area's: Yorkshire, County Clare, Scotland, Germany.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Moloney & Wren 1840's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 04 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Was he at a known address in Ireland during the 1901 census so you can check?  Or perhaps in England? People tended to give older ages as they got close to pensionable age so theygot a pension sooner.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline caza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate, l should have mentioned that he married here in Australia in 1886. I just dont know how to find his birth details. Do you know if there was any census done in Ireland in the 1800's. l think that is the only way of finding any clues to his birth date. Thanks for replying.
Carol.
Ellis, Blanck, Planck, Cody, Moloney/ Maloney, Wren, Gray, Clouston, Whelan, Alford, Anderson, Pringle.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

So the Australian marriage cert gave no age? Did it say 'of full age' i.e. 21+? Were there no censuses done in Australia?
There were census taken in Ireland but most were destroyed in one way or another until the 1901 which is complete but of no use to you! I can see that Inagh, Co Clare and Dysert both have a Moloney and a Wren household. Did you have no luck because they didn't reply or there was no mention of your Michael or his parents? What is the religion? There is a third parish with both a Wren household and a Moloney household called Ballymodan in Co Cork and Leckaun, Kilnamona Co Clare.

Kate

Offline caza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate, yes the marriage cert said he was 35yrs old in 1886 (b 1851) whereas the death certificate stated he was 75yrs old at date of death in 1915 so that makes him born 1840. l havent bothered looking up any aussie census as l didn't think it would help me. l had a reply from a Rev from Inagh which stated he had no record of a Michael Moloney with those parents. The other never replied. l have since found out that you are meant to send some kind of donation with the request. The religion is Roman Catholic. Where are you getting the information from ?, can l go any further with those household details or is that it? Thanks for your help.
Carol.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am searching the Griffith Valuation. See my website for some useful links. Also to check when the catholic parish registers start.

I would check all possible census for a better idea of the most likely birth date (searching parish registers over a wide range of years can be frustrating) and also one census may tell you what townland or parish or county they came from. I would be more likely to believe the earlier references to age myself.

Kate