Author Topic: 1841 Census Lookup - HARDING  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 shropshire census look up
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 December 06 17:48 GMT (UK) »

RG12/2092 folio 15 page 4 - Cold Green, Wheathill, Cleobury Mortimer

Thomas Harding Head M 54 Gardener born Salop Abdon
Emma Harding Wife M 54 born Salop Stottesdon
John Harding Son S 18 Helps the Father born Salop Wheathill
Lizzie Harding Dau S 15 born Salop Wheathill
Emma Harding Dau 11 Scholar born Salop Wheathill
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 December 06 18:59 GMT (UK) »

RG10/2739 folio 17 page 5 - Beeson, Wheathill, Cleobury Mortimer

Note: The enumerator has spelt the name HARDIN

Thomas Hardin Head M 56 Labourer born Salop Aabdon
Emma Hardin Wife M 59 born Salop Stottesdon
Charles Hardin Son 12 Labourer born Salop Wheathill
Mary Ann Hardin Dau 10 born Salop Wheathill
Sarah Jane Hardin Dau 7 born Salop Wheathill
Ellen Hardin Dau 3 born Salop Wheathill
Thomas Hardin Son 11 months born Salop Wheathill

Transcribed as HARDEN on the Ancestry Index :o

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 December 06 19:00 GMT (UK) »
You've got 1881, so just looking at the 1851................... ;)

In the meantime, click on this link http://www.rootschat.com/links/011b/ which is a map that shows you how close Abdon and Wheathill are in South Shropshire.  Stottesdon (Emma's place of birth) is just off the map, but is situated about 5 miles East of Wheathill.

I'm wondering why Thomas and Emma got married in Upon on Severn (that's assuming it's the right marriage I found), if they're both from South Shropshire ???
It might be a good idea to get one of the birth certificates of the children to confirm Mum's maiden name.

Here's the birth record for Mary Ann:

Births December Quarter 1860
District: Cleobury Mortimer (which covers Wheathill)
Volume: 6a
Page: 501

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 December 06 19:37 GMT (UK) »

1851 is proving to be a little more difficult.  There is a Thomas Harding of the right age living with parents in Madeley. Shropshire.  The birthplace is showing as Clun, which is the roughly the right area, but I'm not certain that it's correct.

Anyway, before we can find him further back I suggest you do the following:

• Purchase birth certificate for the daughter Mary Ann to confirm Mum's maiden name
  • Once we know maiden name, search for the correct marriage
  • Purchase marriage certificate to confirm fathers' names
  • Hopefully find the right families in the 1851 and 1841

I did have a look through the 1841 images for Abdon and there are no Harding families there, so they must have moved from the area.

Let me know what the birth certificate shows............I just hope you don't mind spending £7 :D

Offline angela wade

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 December 06 22:24 GMT (UK) »
thanks for info received very interesting. Another distant family member seems to have these addresses(wheathill) apart from 1851 address down as madeley. I will send for Williams birth certificate as he is the one I am related to. I will get back to you when received
Angela

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 December 06 22:43 GMT (UK) »

OK Angela, will wait patiently ;D

Jan

Offline angela wade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Lookup - HARDING
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 19:05 GMT (UK) »
have ordered said birth certificate, will not arrive till early in the new year.I have a possible siting for Thomas in 1851. Working on a farm as a farm servant with the Bradley family in the area of Bridgnorth chetton

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 December 06 09:05 GMT (UK) »

I have a possible siting for Thomas in 1851. Working on a farm as a farm servant with the Bradley family in the area of Bridgnorth chetton

Yes, that does look most promising......age and place of birth are spot on.

Let me know what the certificate says when it arrives in the New Year, in the meantime, I wish you a very Merry Christmas :)

Jan

Offline angela wade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 January 07 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Ok, in comminication with my ozzie rellie who has slightly more info than me we have confirmed Emma and William married in upton on severn june 1856.She has Thomas born , 1834 Abdon and Emma 1838 Stottesdon. Thier eldest son William born 1856 married Effie on 26th Feb 1889  father Thomas (gardener). She also has Thomas in 1851 working at Burwarton Shrops living away from home. She also think that his parents are Thomas and Mary harding (1806,1811) with family of John,Mary,Thomas and William all living in shrops(1841).  Unfortunatley the birth cert I ordered was the wrong  one, but going on the continuation of family names they well maybe his parents.