Author Topic: Joseph PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.  (Read 7406 times)

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
  • Wilts, Dorset, Berks and Somerset ancestry
    • View Profile
Joseph PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
« on: Saturday 16 December 06 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Is anybody researching Joseph PHELPS (1731 - 1806) of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.?  Joseph was born in 1731, a son of Timothy PHELPS junior and Mary NOTLEY. 

In 1757, in Cudworth, Joseph PHELPS of Chillington married Elizabeth ROWSELL of Cudworth.  Joseph lived in Shepton Beauchamp, where he was probably a butcher.  Joseph and Elizabeth had issue, including: 

Mary PHELPS 1760, who married Robert FOWLER in 1781
Thomazin PHELPS 1763, who married William NAISH, farmer, of Seavington St. Mary
Joseph PHELPS 1765, who married Martha DEVENISH and farmed in Combe Florey
Elizabeth PHELPS 1767, who married Ambrose WILLY of Kingsbury
Catherine (Catam) PHELPS 1769, who married Joseph BRAGGE of Ilminster. 
William PHELPS c1783, who married Catherine COOMBES and farmed in Cudworth
John PHELPS who married Joan SALISBURY, who lived in Cudworth and, later, in Shepton Beauchamp.  He was probably a butcher. 

ROPER of Chideock, Powerstock & Winterborne Whitchurch, Dorset
LAWRENCE of Wilts, and Berks
MAYO of Poxwell, Friar Waddon (Portesham) & Frome St. Quintin, Dorset
STONE of Piddlehinton, Dorset
CHISMAN of Castle Eaton & East Knoyle, Wilts
RUMSEY of West Knoyle & Mere, Wilts
HULL of Sutton Benger, Wilts & East Woodhay, Hants
FOWLER of Winterborne Whitchurch & Abbotsbury, Dorset, and of Cudworth, Som.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.
PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
SYMONDS of Somerset & Dorset

Offline auslinda

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter Ferreira
We are related to the phelps and Notley Family
Joseph Phelps snr m Elizabeth Rowsell
they had a son Joseph Phelps Jnr m Martha Devenish
they had a daughter Anna Phelps married William Perkins then she remarried William Berry they came to Australia on the ship  Duke of Roxburgh in 1849.
with their 4 Children Henry James Berry b 8 Jan 1839 m 1863 Mary Eleanor Sullivan b 1841 Ireland, Isabella Berry b 12 Mar 1839m m James William Denton, William Walter Berry b 1842 m Catherine Frances Montgomery & Henrietta Berry b 1847 Joseph Appleby

Linda

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 07 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Cousin Linda,

I have just sent you a separate personal message.  I suggest that we continue this correspondence by regular w-mail, as it would be much easier to attach files. 

Yes, we have a definite connection.  I would be very interested to see all that you have on our Phelps clan.  Here is some of the information I have on your ancestor Joseph Phelps junior (1765 - 1823) yeoman farmer of Combe Florey, Somerset: 

"  Joseph Phelps, son of Joseph and Elizabeth Phelps, baptized in Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, on January 14th., 1765;  Joseph was a yeoman farmer in Combe Florey, Somerset;  in 1792, at St. Nicholas Hope Independent church, Sydling, Dorset, he married Martha Devenish;  Joseph signed his last will on February 2nd., 1821 and a codicil on December 8th., 1821, appointing his brother William Phelps yeoman of Cudworth and friend William Naish, the younger, yeoman of Seavington as executors; Joseph died in Combe Florey on April 16th., 1823;  Joseph and Martha had issue:   

1.   Charlotte Phelps,  born about 1793 in Combe Florey;  Charlotte married William Chappell in Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset, in 1819;

2.   Joseph Phelps, born August 15th. and baptized December 30th., 1795 in Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset;  Joseph was a yeoman farmer in Combe Florey;  he married (1) Mary Hewlett in 1813 in Yeovil;  Joseph married (2) Alice about 1820;  Joseph and Mary and Alice had issue, in Combe Florey: 

3.   John Phelps, born about 1797 in Combe Florey;  baptized there on June 20th., 1797;  he was buried in Combe Florey, on April 27th., 1798 (I.G.I. extracted);     

4.   Anna Phelps, born about 1799 and christened on April 7th., 1799, in Combe Florey;  Anna married (1) William Perkin on July 1st., 1823 in Combe Florey (I.G.I. extracted);  she married (2) William Berry on October 31st., 1833, in Creech St. Michael, Somerset, in the presence of Charlotte Chappell;  William Berry and Anna emigrated to Australia in 1849;  Anna died in Bathurst, NSW, Australia, on September 24th., 1859;  William Berry and Anna had 4 children, including: 
a.   Henry James Berry, baptized as William James Berry in Staple Fitzpaine, Somerset, on January 8th., 1837;  on June 9th., 1863, Henry James married Mary Sullivan in Sofala, N.S.W., Australia;  Henry died in Portland, N.S.W., on June 20th., 1916;  Mary died in Kensington, N.S.W., on February 7th., 1916;  they lived in N.S.W., where they had 10 children, including:  " 

There were also another five known children of Joseph and Martha Phelps. 

Best wishes.

Peter Ferreira
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.

Offline jwfw45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 August 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
I see from the topic "Joseph Phelps" that Elizabeth Phelps 1767 married Ambrose Willy of Kingsbury. For many years I have been seeking the parents of my ancestor Jephthah Willy. He was married in Kingsbury church in 1783; Ambrose Willy was one of the witnesses. This was actually a double wedding: Jemima Willey was married there on that day; Ambrose again a witness. Was Ambrose the father of Jepthah, and Elizabeth the mother? Were Jephthah and Jemima brother and sister?

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi jwfw45,

I've moved your topic to the end of this Joseph PHELPS topic you are referring to. Hope this helps.

Trystan
RootsChat Support
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi jwfw45, 

Greetings from Toronto, Canada.

I doubt whether my Ambrose Willy could have been the father of your Jephthah Willy, as they appear to have both married in the 1780s.  However, they could have been brothers.

Here are my fuller notes on the family history of my Willy branch of cousins: 

"  E.   Elizabeth Phelps, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Phelps, was baptized in Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, on May 5th., 1767.  On July 23rd., 1787, in Shepton Beauchamp, Elizabeth Phelps of Shepton Beauchamp married Ambrose Willy of Kingsbury, by licence, in the presence of Joseph Phelps and John Robinson.  Ambrose and Elizabeth had issue:
1.   John Willy, baptized in Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, on December 30th., 1795;  buried there on August 18th., 1797; 
2.   Robert Willey, son of Ambrose and Elizabeth Willey of Middle Lambrook in the parish and the census district of Kingsbury Episcopi, baptized in Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, on May 4th., 1802; 
3.   Elizabeth Willey, daughter of Ambrose and Elizabeth Willey of Middle Lambrook in the parish of Kingsbury Episcopi, baptized in Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset , on November 30th., 1803; 
[A Thomas Willey was buried in Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, on May 1st., 1801.] 
[An Ambrose Willey 7 was buried in Kingsbury Episcopi on May 28th., 1831.]   "

I wish you success in your search for mor details about your Willy family tree.

Peter Ferreira
Toronto, Canada.

GAPPER of Winsham, Som.

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 19 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Ambrose Willy was named as a son of Thomas Willy of Middle Lambrook (Kingsbury Episcopi, Somerset) in the 1800 Will of Thomas Willy. Two other sons and seven daughters were also named in the Will.

From the Nov. 21, 1778 Will of Edward England: "Also I give unto my Brother Henry England Stephen and Henry his Sons Thomas Willy of Middle Lambrook Ambrose his Son George Gifford and James Gifford Sons of William Gifford the Sum of one hundred and forty pounds (to be paid six months after Testator's death)(in trust)(for the benefit of such person or persons) as shall be Minister or Ministers of or for the Society of persons under the denomination of Presbyterian or Protestant Dissenters usually assembling for the Worship of God at Middle Lambrook Meeting House in the County of Somerset . . . ." [No punctuation in PCC copy.]

Ambrose Willy made his Will in Norton Fitzwarren Parish in 1810. He was buried in that Parish on May 25, 1810. The Will was admitted to Probate on Oct. 30, 1810. There is a summary of the Will in a tax record. The request for probate was made by Joseph Phelps and John Phelps. Testator's wife was Elizabeth Willy. The "three oldest children" named were Joseph, Thomas and Jane. The "four other children" were John, James, Robert and Elizabeth. [I note that there was a John who died in 1797.]

William Archerd

Willy, Willey, Gifford, England, Fry, Pittard (all in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish, Somerset); Forster (Warkworth, Northumberland; and Isle of Thanet, Kent); & Cartwright & Hancock (Birkenhead, Cheshire)

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 19 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi William,

Many thanks for your message and new information on my Willy branch in Somerset.  You have given me details of four new cousins in that branch.  Very much appreciated!

Best wishes. 

Peter.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 February 19 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

By any chance do you have any information on Ambrose Willy or his Phelps' wife not already posted in this thread? Or on any of their children, not already posted?

Elizabeth (Mrs. Ambrose) Willy married again, in 1815:
* On August 15, 1815 Elizabeth Willy (as she signed but Elizabeth Whilly as put down by the Rector) by licence married William Sweeting in Ilchester Parish, Somerset. The marriage register shows Sweeting of this parish and Elizabeth of South Petherton. Bride and groom signed the register as did witnesses R'd Parfett and Wm Hervey. Minister was Thomas Ebrey, Rector.

* On June 4, 1817 William Sweeting of Bicknoller Parish, Somerset, was buried, age 51 [1766]. I am not sure this is the same William as in the marriage record.

* Burial record from Shepton Beauchamp Parish: Eliza'th Sweeting, abode Compton Durvill, buried June 28, 1826, age 59.

Bill Archerd

Willy, Willey, Gifford, England, Fry, Pittard (all in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish, Somerset); Forster (Warkworth, Northumberland; and Isle of Thanet, Kent); & Cartwright & Hancock (Birkenhead, Cheshire)