Author Topic: Purdy, Magherafelt  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Purdy, Magherafelt
« on: Saturday 16 December 06 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the registers for Magherafelt, Co Derry?

I'm trying to find the birth/baptism of Samuel Purdy, who was born there around December 1825.

Thanks, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Purdy, Magherafelt
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 06 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Birth registration didn't start until 1864 so it would have to be baptismal information. Any idea which church or even religion?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 December 06 00:11 GMT (UK) »
All I have is his place of birth from his discharge to pension from the Army.

I'm guessing Catholic, but not certain.  He was married C of E in Preston, Lancs, and had all his male children baptised C of E, but the females were baptised RC!

I know that there was a tendency for Irish Catholic families to have male children baptised Protestant to improve their chances of getting a good job later in life.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 December 06 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Another possiblity is that it was a mixed marriage- he could have been Church of Ireland and she R.C. and boys baptised in his faith and girls in hers. I've seen that happen many times.

According to records I have:
Church of Ireland- Magherafelt- Castledawson (Magherafelt parish): bapt. & burials 1846-.
-Magherafelt: bapt.1718-1793,1799-, marriages 1720-, burials 1716-1771,1799-.

Roman Catholic- Magherafelt & Artrea (North): bapt. & marriages 1834-.

LDS site lists "Parochial registers of Magherafelt 1858-1880. Catholic Church, Parish of Magherafelt" which is too late for your Samuel Purdy.

Another point is that when people left Ireland they tended to give the nearest town or city as their birthplace. I have a relative who went to America and his birthplace is given as Belfast even though he was born about 50 miles west of Belfast.

Have you been able to trace Samuel Purdy in English census records to see if a different place of birth was given?

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 December 06 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

He joined up in Magherafelt according to his discharge papers. giving the same as his bith place.  The census for 1871 and 1871 only states Ireland as his place of birth.  He was in Canada in 1861 and we have not found him in 1881; apparently he returned to Ireland some time in the 1880s and presumably died there - I haven't found any record of his death.

I had considered that it was a mixed marriage - in fact that was my first interpretation of the situation; it was only after listening to a number of different "experts" on the subject of Irish records that I came to the conclusion that they may both have been Catholic.

Where would I be able to get access to the Church of Ireland records for Magherafelt?

Regards, Bill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 December 06 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Bill- was in Coleraine Library for a few minutes this morning and checked listing of records for Magherafelt- good new and bad news...

Magherafelt Church of Ireland (Armagh Diocese) PRONI- MIC 1/1A- Baptisms 1718-93 & 1799-1895, marriages 1720-1845, burials 1716-71 1799-1893 (newer records in local custody).
Magherafelt Roman Catholic (Armagh Diocese) baptism 1834-80, marriages 1834-81.

R.C. records too late for Samuel's baptism but Coleraine has C. of I. records copied from PRONI. Only had a few minutes in between Christmas shopping, so checked baptisms 1824-1826. Handwriting was beautiful, easy to read and microfilm excellent. Naturally I didn't find your Samuel or even any Purdys. 1826 the writing changed to an almost illegible version but with time it could probably be read as the film was clear. Suppose it's possible that Samuel was born and/or baptised a little aft 1825, especially if he was trying to join the Army.

Sorry I couldn't find anything but there still could be something in C. of I. records.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey

Do you think it would be worth me making a trip to Derry in the spring?

Regards, Bill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Think you need a bit more information first.
Have you searched Griffiths Valuation to see where there are any Purdys (even though slightly later that 1820s)?
Looked in 1902 directory but no Purdys in Magherafelt town. Also tried 1909 as it has a listing for farmers but nothing there either.
There is still the possibilty that Samuel gave his place of birth as the nearest town and he was born outside Magherafelt.
I know it seems like a brick wall but just keep searching. I started looking for my grandfather's family with the information from Aunt Rachel "they came from somewhere in County Derry with green hills and a river but I can't remember that name of the place" but after a few years I located both sides of the family!

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 23:22 GMT (UK) »
This fellow and his wife are determined not to be found!  I've been banging my head against walls with this one for several years - each time I manage to knock one wall down another one appears!  He's giving me a headache!!

I will have to do some more digging.

His wife's name was Margaret McCann - all I have for her is born Ireland!  They were married in Preston, Lancashire, so no clues there!

Regards, Bill