Author Topic: History of homes in Cornwall - look up request  (Read 1191 times)

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
History of homes in Cornwall - look up request
« on: Saturday 16 December 06 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I wonder if there is a website that gives the history of homes in the Cornwall area.  My g-g-grandfather Edward Hickes lived at 16 Prospect Place in Truro in the 1851 Census, along with his brothers Thomas James, Frank and Weston and his parents Thomas (Surveyor of roads and county bridges) and Grace Cox Hickes nee Blee.  By the 1861, Grace had died (1857) and Thomas had remarried to Emma Blee nee Osler, they were now living in 7 Prospect Place, Truro and there is no mention of Frank or Weston nor can I find any other reference to these boys again.  I am wondering if there may have been a fire at their 1st address or perhaps there was an epedemic of some kind during these days as it seems strange that they would live in the same street - could the street numbers have been changed for some reason?  Thomas retired to Elm Cottage on Truro - Vean - Road and spent out the rest of his days here some 20 yrs, the property then was occupied by his son Thomas James and his family.  I wonder if any of these properties still exist?
If anyone can enlighten me on this mystery I would very much appreciate it as I'm doing research from Australia.

Kath

To add to the mystery, I have just found the family listed in the 1841 Cencus as Hicks living at No 7...so they have gone from no 7 to 16 and back again to 7???
K
Swepson - Australia, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire
Papworth - Huntingdonshire
Fitzpatrick - Australia, Derravona Co Cavan, Ireland
Hennessey - Mullinahone, Co Tipperary, Ireland
Hickes - Fiji, Cornwall, Glocestershire
Foster - Fiji, Samoa, Germany

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: History of homes in Cornwall - look up request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 06 17:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a death..

June Q 1864 Stroud District - vol 6a page 197

Weston HICKES

I see his father Thomas was born in Gloucestershire so maybe there is a connection??
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 December 06 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you gougy this is the right one, Thomas was born in Stone, Gloucestershire.

:)
Swepson - Australia, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire
Papworth - Huntingdonshire
Fitzpatrick - Australia, Derravona Co Cavan, Ireland
Hennessey - Mullinahone, Co Tipperary, Ireland
Hickes - Fiji, Cornwall, Glocestershire
Foster - Fiji, Samoa, Germany

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Kath,

We have received a letter for you today from a Hicks gentleman who does not use the internet.

Mr Hicks states that Hicks is local Cornish names and the Hicks (sic) at 7 prospect Place Truro are no relation to him BUT he does have a photograph taken at Elm Cottage of Edward Hicks and the Family.

If you get in touch and get personally give you the name and address if you wish to reply.

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk