Author Topic: look up request little's of canonbie 1891 & 1901  (Read 3271 times)

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
look up request little's of canonbie 1891 & 1901
« on: Sunday 17 December 06 07:07 GMT (UK) »
hi i wondered if some kind person could do me  a look up on the 1891 or 1901  for the following  mother and daughter   or if any one has a match in their  tree with them .

Elizabeth  Little  born 20/09/1864 @ canonbie (3rd child & 2nd daughter of William Little and Elizabeth Hogg or Hog)

and her daughter

Mary McGuire Little.  born 06/03/1886 @ canonbie (unknown father)

or if any other children  (if you can locate on the census)

many thanks  any clues would be fantastic .                          adrian.
LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: look up request little's of canonbie 1891 & 1901
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 December 06 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

Best place to look is at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Just search using the information you know to be true (it will cost you about £6 giving your 30 credits - which should help you).

Regards,

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 06 06:23 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that kojak............................. have done as you said over the past week  but still hitting a wall .......... :'(

people talk of the kirk sessions  would that give the fathers name ????   how would i go on if she gave the child up to be adopted.........    have looked  in england census 1891 and 1901  .................   

am i missing the point here  or have i just over looked it .....................

puzzled  Adrian.
LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 December 06 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

I have searched using the free search facility at scotlandspeople and by inputting the following info for the 1891 census you might narrow down the search to get your elizabeth little and daughter mary.

Firstly put

Little in surname box
Elizabeth in forename box
Select Female option
Age range 26 28
Dumfries
all parishes

You get 1 match (if its not her, she probably married)

For mary (her daughter)
Follow same guide above and put age range 4 - 5

You'll get 2 matches

Do Elizabeth first and see if she has a mary aged 4 or 5 with her.

It is of course possible Elizabeth and Mary moved out with the County of Dumfries, which will make tracing them much more difficult.

The Kirk Session records are kept at the NAS in Scotland.  These records may provide you information for father's name and the baptisms details.

In the meantime, you may wish to try a narrowed search for a wedding for elizabeth little on scotlandspeople webiste.

Select Marriages 1855-1930
Leave male boxes blank
input Little and
Elizabeth in the respective female boxes
then narrow years to 1880 (when she would have been 16) 1900 (when would have been 36)
Select Dumfries

By doing the above, you will see 15 results, 4 of which refer to marriages in canonbie.  In thos edays it was common practice for marriages to be held in the brides' home parish. Is your Elizabeth one of these 4 listed records?

The above searches willl probably use up the 30 credits. I hope it helps you find your Elizabeth and Mary.

Best wishes,

Kojak

Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 December 06 15:45 GMT (UK) »
you may find this of some help

1861 census; byreburn, canobie

william...head...age 38...coal miner
elizabeth...wife...age 37
david...son...age 7 months
james armstrong...step-son...age 7
george farish...cousin...ag labourer

all born canobie

1851 census; birnie, canobie

mary wilson...head...age 58...sick nurse
william...son...age 30...coal miner

both born canobie

if you had more info on elizabeth we could find her for you too, do you know her parents?

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 06 23:38 GMT (UK) »
thanks kojak will give that a go in next couple of weeks as over spent with Christmas  ( expensive family)   and see what i get  i think i put it in wrong  and i also included McGuire in the surname.   thanks  your very kind .

well joebhoy , you've just blown me out of the water   as daft lad here didn't think of doing the 1861 census   and now i wondering about  William and Elizabeth's  wedding cert  if she was poss married  before .    i know she was  Elizabeth hogg  and her parents were  Walter hogg and Mary telford   but where this step-son James armstrong has come from  i don't know . ( a big shock)    is there a 1841 census  for the area ?? with the poss of William  having siblings  ( i think his father was named as matthew little ???? )   but thanks for your help with this   it is very kind of you .    best regards  and thanks  Adrian

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 December 06 07:02 GMT (UK) »
hi again kojak ,   well £12.00 later  and the four Elizabeth littles  marrying in canonbie  none are mine     and the  two Mary littles on the 1891  aren't mine either  and the Elizabeth little on the 1891  isn't .   so even with all your kind help and directions  ( which were book) cool    I'm still at my brick wall ........ :'(   so pay day waiting to see if the other  11 Elizabeth's marriages are mine ..   ( never been  so quickly to so many weddings    and no new hat   lol lol ;D)

joebhoy............    looks like that step son you gave me fits    .. James armstrong  born 6/6/1854  father william armstrong  mother Elizabeth hogg .....   but couldn't find  marriage  cert for them  so next month will send for his  birth  cert .....    fantastic  result    now wondering if  other children  and if William little was married before....... ???????  thanks again to both of you    ;D