Author Topic: Trying to find Eliza Halford Chapman's father, 1828  (Read 1822 times)

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Trying to find Eliza Halford Chapman's father, 1828
« on: Sunday 17 December 06 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am on the lookout for a potential father for my 3xG-Grandmother Eliza Halford Chapman. According to IGI, she was baptized on 23rd March 1828 in Wivelsfield, but I would think it likely that her mother Ann, who was only about 16 at the time, had been sent away from wherever she was living to have the baby.

Eliza married Thomas Matthews in 1846 and appears on the subsequent censuses as Eliza Matthews, but her birthplace is given as Keymer in 1851, so who knows where she actually came into this world!

Her mother Ann was born in Horsted Keynes, so possibly was living there at the time she fell pregnant.

I can't see any records on A2A which look relevant, so hope that someone may have some other clues.

I have a feeling that Eliza's middle name of Halford may be a big clue, but looking on the 1841 census didn't really narrow anything down

Any help to locate the missing father would be immensly appreciated

Thanks

Glen

AK

Re: Trying to find Eliza Halford Chapman's father, 1828
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 December 06 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glen,

Have you thought of trying to find a Bastardy Bond, or record, regarding the financial upkeep for the child? These are held in the County Record Office and are usually on microfilm.

From what you have described, it is likely that some sort of order would have been made and therfore the father (sometimes described as the "reputed father") would have been questioned about the circumstances. Not all of these survive but for this date I should think you have a fair chance of finding something.

AK

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 December 06 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I could not find Eliza in 1841 but there was a family in Keymer - John and Sarah then Ann age 30 and what looked like Elinor age 13 - but could have been Eliza with a bit of imagination!   Keymer and Wivelsfield are quite close and if you click on the batch number on the IGI for Eliza's baptism the only other Chapman entry is for a child of a John and Sarah so they may well be relations.
If the bastardy bond does not exist then you may have to abandon looking for a father.
Andrea

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions

I think I need to visit the record office in the new year to check for a bastardy bond.

Andrea, thanks for the 1841 details. I can easily believe that the family in Keymer may well be Ann and Eliza, and Anns parents, so I'll have an investigate

If only East Sussex had the same sort of database online as West Sussex.....

I've just been having a look at the 1841 census, and tried a search on Halford (soundex spelling) in Sussex and there were only 2 results. Both in Horsted Keynes. The younger of the two, John Holford, would have been mid 30's at the time Eliza was born. Hmm, I wonder...!!!

Thanks

Glen