Author Topic: Regiment identity.  (Read 4007 times)

Offline EVG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment identity.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 December 06 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Well of course you can, and of course you derserve the acclaim.  The person who has the photo in their possession will be delighted.  I'll let them know where the information came from and they will no doubt come on here.  I just like mysteries and will be very pleased to see what you have found.  Thank you Anne.
Eileen.
Gorman. Clasby.  George.  Brooker.  Taylor. Snelgrove.  Evans. Bartlett.  Radburn, Pasby, Carter.
Wiltshire.  Hampshire.  London.  Pontypridd. Scotland

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 December 06 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Well Eileen

Here goes with the information you provided. It would have been ideal to see if the writing on the back of the photo was written by the same person and particularly written in a continental-style hand.

Still, I hope that this is your couple, as this man died on the date provided and at Valliere (St-Valery-en-Caux). The Highland Division surrendered after their 60 mile fighting retreat that enabled the BEF and the French army to be evacuated at Dunkirk.  The date of surrender was the 12th June, 1940 - how sad, as your man died the day before that.
Having checked the records and with your information, there was only one Gordon Highlander officer killed that day (and none the previous days before).  So I am fairly sure this is the family:

Name:   COLVILLE, FREDERICK JAMES
Initials:   F J
Nationality:   United Kingdom
Regiment/Service:   Gordon Highlanders
Unit Text:   1st Bn.
Date of Death:   11/06/1940
Service No:   50797
Additional information:   Son of Admiral the Hon. Sir Stanley Colville, G.C.B., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., and of Lady Adelaide Colville (nee Meade), of Crawley Down, Sussex; husband of Dorothy Loisa Colville, of Paddington, London.
Casualty Type:   Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference:   C, 7.
Cemetery:   ST. VALERY-EN-CAUX FRANCO-BRITISH CEMETERY
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline EVG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 December 06 18:19 GMT (UK) »
What an amazing job you have done Anne.  Thank you so much.  I already emailed Tricia the link to this page.  I'm sure she will get in touch with the holder of the photograph as soon as possible.  This is very exciting.
Once again, many thanks.
Regards Eileen.
Gorman. Clasby.  George.  Brooker.  Taylor. Snelgrove.  Evans. Bartlett.  Radburn, Pasby, Carter.

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 December 06 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen  ;)

Glad you liked the information.  Forgot to mention that prior to being with the Gordons, your officer was with the London Scottish.

His home church commenorates him - some nice photos of the church, but not convinced they were married in this particular church:

allsaints.crawleydownvillage.co.uk/roll_honour.php

All the Best for 2007
McKay:

Offline EVG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 December 06 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne.  I've just had email from Tricia, and she was absolutely delighted with your find.  She hopes to get in touch with the owner of photo tonight.  She's sure he will come on here to thank you himself.
Once again, thanks for everything.
A very Happy New Year to you.
Eileen

Offline Tricia123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 December 06 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann, thank you so much for your research into the history behind the wedding photo, it has been very much appreciated by me and I have now contacted the owner this evening, who I know is wanting to reunite this photo with its rightful family after all these years.

I am not sure if you know the story behind this photo, but it was taken off the dead body by a German soldier who held onto the photo wondering how he could reunite it.  Cam's mother was given the photo by this person when she visited Germany as he thought that she would be more able to research it.  Her son Cam now holds this photo.

I have sent him your details.

Thank you very much for your help.

Happy New Year

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 December 06 21:53 GMT (UK) »
 :) Tricia

Thanks you for your comments, and I truly hope our search will be fruitful for Cam and he can at last get a resolution to his quest.

Happy New Year

Anne

McKay:

Offline Tricia123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 December 06 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Anne, I hope we will all find out soon!

I should have also said thank you to my friend Eileen,  who is also interested in this story and without whom the photo would not have been exposed to so many very helpful researchers in this forum.

Thank you
Tricia

Offline EVG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Anne.
We are still amazed at your research results.
Tricia received an email from the gentleman who owns the photo at present ,and he is delighted.  Here is an extract from his email to Tricia.
"An actual name... amazing!   I'm going to contact Ann and also have a contact for
the Regiment, so will write to them presently. "

My personal thanks to you Anne.  I'm off to find another mystery, this time in my own family tree! :) ;)  Eileen