Author Topic: Would Appreciate Some Help - LANE  (Read 4612 times)

Offline Caddi43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would Appreciate Some Help - LANE
« on: Monday 18 December 06 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm pretty new to genealogy and although I have got quite a few ancestors this one has got me stumped. :-[

I am looking for a WILLIAM LANE my Great Great Grandfather born 1816 in Goodrich Herefordshire.
I have all his children from the census but I can find his wife's Maiden Name her name was Mary b 1821
Their children were
Henry   b 1849
Joseph b  1851
Allen     b  1854
Ann      b  1859
Lydia    b   1862
James   b   1864
Thomas b   1869 (My Grandfather)
They moved to Joyford Gloucestershire after Allen was born

I would really appreciate any help. I am in Australia so not easy for me to get records etc.

Thank You
Have a great Christmas everyone

Regards
Jackiehttp://http://

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Would appreciate some help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 06 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jackie

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

As all the children were born after the start of civil registration in 1837 the purchase of any of their birth certificates would give you their mother's maiden name.

You can search on Ancestry free at the moment: http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 December 06 13:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage to a Mary COOKE in Ross, June 1848.

Volume 26, page 377.

(There are other names on the page however)

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 December 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
 William Lane married Ann Jones at Linton in September 1844

Offline Caddi43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for you help both of you. I will follow up on both of those to see if there are any connections
have a Happy Chirstmas and hope you find lot's of Ancestors in 2007
Kindest regards
Jackie

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Checking for your family on the census, it seems that William's wife was Elizabeth - or have I got the family completely incorrect?

1851  Whitchurch, Hertfordshire
William (farm lab) Elizabeth Henry and Joseph

1861 West Dean Gloucestershire
William Elizabeth(farm labourer)  Henry Joseph  Albert (as written) and Ann

1871 still West Dean
William (ag lab) Elizabeth Henry(coal miner)  Joseph Allen Ann Lydia James Thomas

1881 still West Dean
William(Farm labourer) Elizabeth Henry(coal miner) James(coal miner) Thomas (scholar) with Allen living a couple of houses away as a lodger.

William and son Henry are given born Goodrich in each census - Allen born Whitchurch

Do I have the right family?

The Jun 1848 marriage in Ross includes a possible Elizabeth Hardwicke - Goodrich is in the Ross district, Whitchurch was transferred there in 1935 - so must be close by. An 1846 marriage in Leominister has possible wives Elizabeth Postans and Elizabeth Price.  As ArranR suggested, a child's birth certificate may be the best option. You can buy them online.

Christmas wishes  8)  from the Sunshine State

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caddi43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
I was just on Ancestry.com and came up with Elizabeth also but I didn't get half of what you did. Thank you so much it is really appreciated. Yes you do have the right family and now things are placing themselves in the right order
 (I think lol) It is so nice that people are so helpful makes life much easier for this old chuck lol. Hope the weathers not too hot for you over there. it has been an awful hot day here today in Perth very muggy and humid.
Oh well we can expect it at this time of year. Trish I hope you and your family have a Great Christmas and once again Many thanks.

Kindest Regards
Jackie

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Then it is not the marriage I found with Ann which was just the nearest fit for the name Ann, but a Goodrich one in May 1848 when William Lane married Elizabeth Hardwicke.

As this is after civil registration, this marriage will have a certificate available. Try the Ross on Wye Register Office, The Old Chapel, Cantilupe Road , Ross on Wye, Herefordshire. This certificate should give the names and occupation of both fathers.

You are in Perth ?  Oh, the shame of it, it is not somewhere any English cricket fans wants to talk about at the moment   :-[ :-[ :-[ :( :(

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi EBN

I'm not sure if we oz folk are too welcome on here at the minute  :(  :(
but I haven't been a cricket fan for years (if that helps)  :D   :D  The last good match I saw was the centenary test in 1977 (I think that was the year) - many moons ago. Then it all went commercial and now the players seem to be decked in advertisements from head to toe and the life off the pitch seems to be more important than the game. I used to pay 10 cents to sit on the hill at the gabba - before it became a cement monolith!!

Jacki

I will give you the full details of the census - I thought you may have had them (hence my little detail). I had a brief look for Elizabeth Hardwicke in 1841 without success but will look again.

Brisbane looks to be having the coolest Christmas in 10 years - and as this is the first year we have had air conditioning - that seems about my luck.

RootsChat is a wonderful site if you have family from UK (or anywhere else) - everyone is very friendly and very helpful.

enjoy

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk