Author Topic: wigan and leigh records offices  (Read 1125 times)

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wigan and leigh records offices
« on: Monday 18 December 06 18:08 GMT (UK) »
A lot of my ancestors were from the Tyldesley, Atherton, Leigh, Wigan area.
I'll be going to England in the New Year and would like to visit the records offices but I'm not sure how to plan my visit (it will my first time).
I understand that I need to book a visiting time but do I have to say in advance what I want to see? Also, what info can I get from there?
Ex. I have a Joseph Clementson born 1817 in Pemberton/Lambeshed/Orrell depending on the census. I know when he married and died but need to find his birth. Do they have the parish records for those areas?
I'm quite nervous about this as if I mess it up I won't be able to go back again for a while.
I'd be really grateful for any tips you could give me.
Regards
Patricia
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Lancashire, Wirral, C° Durham, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Berkshire

coffeecup

Re: wigan and leigh records offices
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 06 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This site will really help you. It's for the Wigan History shop. They are incredibly helpful and have done research for me for free. They really should be put first on your list of places to go, holding the areas records, and also at the Library at Leigh. Give them a mail and see what they advise perhaps?

http://www.wlct.org/Culture/Heritage/fhistory.htm

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Frenchdressing
My first stop would be the Lancashire Records Office at Preston,2 or 3 mins away from the railway station.You do not have to book in advance and the film readers are much more up todate  and a lot easier to operate,they should have all the records there but if google Lancashire records office and click onto church records it shows all th Cof E,Non-Conformist and Roman Catholic Records,you can look up wills so really everything is under one roof to me an easier option if limited to time.You do need two proofs of ID

Dotty
Have a nice trip and don't forget to take some Uncle Joe's Mintballs back home with you.
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot Dotty and coffeecup. That's really helpful. I'll start making a plan of action.
I'm surprised that Uncle Joe's Mintballs are still made, haven't had one in years.
Regards
Patricia
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Lancashire, Wirral, C° Durham, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Berkshire