Author Topic: Jobs you just don't see any more  (Read 14242 times)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs you just don't see any more
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Kerry   :D 

Hats - top hats etc - covered with beaver pelt I suppose, noot sure, but think the blowing was to do with shape etc ...

http://www.yurtboutique.com/beaver.htm

also explains the origin of a MAD HATTER !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 12:09 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LOL  :D :D :D :D :D

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to disappoint but seriously now - it is Beaver Bower, not Blower. See below:

Bowing
"The process of bowing was both a cleaning and fluffing operation. At this stage, the fluff would begin to mat together loosely. Bowing was done by placing the fluff on a hurdle or square table with many evenly spaced parallel slots. The table would be located by a window to provide good lighting. Drafts were avoided to keep the valuable fluff from blowing away during the process. Hatters considered bowing an art and one of the most delicate parts of the process.

The fluff was divided and bowed one half at a time. The Hatter's bow resembled a large violin bow. It hung from the ceiling directly over the hurdle. The bow's one string would be plucked with the thumb or with a wooden bow pin. This caused the string to vibrate over and among the fibers. The wool was fluffed, separated and agitated by this process. Dust and dirt fell through the parallel slots in the hurdle. The wool was spread out much like rolling a pie crust and the fibers continued matting together.

The wool, now called a batt, would be in the shape of a large oval sheet about 4 feet long, 3 feet wide and 6 to 12 inches high. Pressure would be applied with a slotted wooden Hatter's basket and maybe an oil cloth. By this point the fibres were matting together enough to allow handling of the batt. The procedures are then repeated with the other half of the beaver wool producing a second batt".

By the way, the mercury used in the hat-making process made hatters mad - hence the Mad Hatter's tea-party. Much of England's hat trade was centred on Luton and that resulted in the erection of various Lutonatic Asylums in that area.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 12:20 GMT (UK) »
too late mate - already editted the source of that in   ;)

and lets not spoil a funny mistran   :D :D

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 12:22 GMT (UK) »
We had a couple of candle makers in the family. I keep thinking about ...  the butcher,  the baker and the candle stick maker and wonder if they had wished they had taken up the earlier options - both of which still exist today.

Trish

Candle-makers were wicked and so given much stick. Their trade waxed mightily but they had so many spills that eventually the trade tapered off and was eventually snuffed out.  :P
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 12:23 GMT (UK) »
waxing lyrical ......  :D

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 12:26 GMT (UK) »
In husband's family there is a "bird stuffer" - no rude jokes required   ;D

and in mine a silk throwster!  Otherwise plenty of ag labs - now you don't get many of them these days!

Ellen

:) :) :) :)
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Soory Newfy - I missed your URL there but I am glad now that I looked at it just for the name of the author:
 ;D Suzanne Puffpaff  ;D

As Sweeney Todd said "Give me a Butcher and a Baker and I will give you a real pie".  :-[

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 12:32 GMT (UK) »

Hack!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

You really are getting worse instead of better!!  ;D ;D ;D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk