Author Topic: Travellers' Movements  (Read 1342 times)

Offline junket

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Help appreciated (SIGHT IMPAIRMENT) with image
    • View Profile
Travellers' Movements
« on: Monday 18 December 06 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi can any one tell me about traveller's movement's
did they have a set pattern around seasonal work fair's ect or did they move about randomly. Before motor transport how far would they have  travelled.

Junket's husband
Paternal line, ALL CORNISH ...
AUGER, BALL, BRAY, BROAD, COLMAN, COON, EDE, GLASSON, HICKS, INCH, LEMIN, RUNNALLS, PEARCE, PRATER, PROUT, TRUDGIAN, TREVAINS, VIVIAN, WELLINGTON, YELLAND

Offline chafox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Travellers' Movements
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 07 12:00 BST (UK) »
 It's my experience researching my family, who travelled a lot, that they must have been attending fairs on a regular sequence.

My family the Kirbys, and  Whitehouses,  have marriages and baptisms all over the place.

My 2x gt grandad Joseph William Kirby was born in the Burgage Monmouth, which suggests common land owned by the council, but aalso hints at their presence there for a fair near to the time of the birth.

Other family baptisms have been recorded at an Inn half way between Tewkesbury and Cheltenham. That suggests that they may have had a circuit of market towns.

But then they were specifically hawking earthenware.

terry
Whitehouse  -Pelsall: Norton canes
Kirby - Hillmorton, Warks; Ashby Leics
Lloyd - London, Surrey, Birmingham
White - Frowlesworth; Narborough, Leics
Deeming - Walsgrave, Corley Warks; Hoxton,London
Bray - Sapcote, Leics
Bentley,Whitehouse - the potteries
Paxton Adkins - Claydon and Cropredy, Oxon
Cooper - Coventry, Hoxton London
Opperman - Limehouse, Hannover
Duffey - Bristol, BVrighton, Marylebone
Davis - Landkey, Ilfracombe, Devon

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 07 14:34 BST (UK) »
no, they didnt travel randomly- they had their circuits and followed them every year. Some wintered indoors, some stayed out in all weathers. Some had flash trailers, earlier vardos and brush waggons, and tents and donkeys, tramping on foot. They could and would travel many miles in a day even on foot. Some travelled all over to horse fairs, others all over to gather the seasons veg and hops. Most incorporated more than one county in their travels.

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 07 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi  Mine seem to have moved round Surrey-Sussex-Kent, but over quite a stretch of time.  I think their base was on the Surrey/Sussex border, tho' they did get as far north as Middlesex for a time.  Eventually they seem to have settled - a house with at least two families in it-& the men worked in the brickyard whilst  some of the women still made chairs
Maggott

Offline junket

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Help appreciated (SIGHT IMPAIRMENT) with image
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 October 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Everone thank you for your reply's you have all confirmed my thoughts that there was a pattern to the traveling life and not just random traveling
thanks again
Junket's husband
Paternal line, ALL CORNISH ...
AUGER, BALL, BRAY, BROAD, COLMAN, COON, EDE, GLASSON, HICKS, INCH, LEMIN, RUNNALLS, PEARCE, PRATER, PROUT, TRUDGIAN, TREVAINS, VIVIAN, WELLINGTON, YELLAND