Author Topic: Christmas Tradition-What do you do?  (Read 15190 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Tradition-What do you do?
« Reply #144 on: Monday 25 December 06 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Bought some reindeer food this year.  Sadly the reindeer don't seem to have been too impressed as it's still sprinkled all along the garden path.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm - up here it's called our garden  ;D

Thank goodness for deer fencing.

Good grief, this new super dooper screen is something else but me fingers don't work any better after a lovely meal and a few glasses.

Gadget - concentrating like mad  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Monday 25 December 06 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Well the day passed fairly quietly for us, had a lovely dinner,  couple of glasses of wine, some xmas pud and later a few goodies.  Mostly watched tv, tomorrow evening we are going to the pantomime to see Dick Whitingdon with Jim Davies, should be a laugh.

Hope you all had a good christmas day.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Monday 25 December 06 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes we have had a lovely day ate loads, had a laugh, done some singing on my daughters ps2 Singing Stars (hey after a few glasses of wine it is amazing what you can do  ;D ) and watched some telly (a novelty for me)

Hope you all had a great day

Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Monday 25 December 06 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Christmas Day seems to go like this; go to the daughter and open presents with grandchildren, then back for a brief respite and look at the turkey. I cook turkey and stuffing balls, creamed parsnips and gravy, daughter does the rest. When turkey is cooked and in dish, wrap it in towels then drive just over 1 mile to daughter's house so by the time we get there it is 'rested' and ready to carve. This began when she didn't have an oven big enough for everything, and has continued because then neither of us has to do it all.
     Over to No.1 son's house tomorrow.
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
  • Where is he? Where's the oul crater hiding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 03:56 GMT (UK) »
First of all, since I started this post, I want to thank everyone who has responded. You have stirred a lot of memories for me and reminded me of many traditions I had forgotten about over  the years. You also made me a starving, raving maniac salivating over all the food discussed here.  At last I am stuffed beyond redemption after today's feast.

Each year there is alway's one gift that seems to get remembered in our family. This year it is the one I gave to my son. Now this grown man has a great sense of humor and loves the rare and unusual. Forgive me, but this year I outdid myself with his gift and we will remember it for many years to come. How many of you can say you gave someone a pot of gold- well that is what he got a 'Pot o' Gold' right from the wee oul fella himself.  He said his name was Jimmy O'Leprechaun. Comes from a long line of the Irish way back into unnamed centuries.  I am working on tracing his lineage as you read this. Problem is one of us has to keep our eye on him all the time. Did manage to snag a photie of him this evening, so if any of you recognize him or might be willing to do a look-up for his ancestors, please let me know!
Maitland- Belfast, Newtonards, Lisburn, Comber
McIlwain-Bothwell, Dalziel, Holytown, Motherwell, Scotland; Belfast, Saintfield, Ballynahinch, Ireland
Laird- Kilcronaghan Parish, & Belfast, Ireland; Bellshill, Motherwell, Scotland
Rodgers & McConnell-Newtonards & Comber

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

I don't think he looks like a McConnell !!!!!  (Ours don't have red hair)

Best wishes
Ellen

;D ;D ;D :D :D
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 15:54 GMT (UK) »
And he looks too tall to be part of my family.  ;D ;D

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Sooziecats

• I am sorry but my email is not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Jessie Wanklyn 16.01.1913 - Christmas Eve 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 17:18 GMT (UK) »
My Dad has hung his ball  ;D on the Christmas Tree for the past 42 years - He bought it when my sister was a baby and every year it has to go on the tree nearest to his chair!

I myself started a bit of a silly tradition only 4 years ago by creating a Christmas Quiz with questions about the family - I wasn't going to bother this year but everyone moaned and wanted a quiz!  Due to suffering from loads of migraines in recent weeks I hadn't got around to writting the quiz so my 13 year old son took over this year.  AND despite getting 2 questions about my own son and hubbie wrong I was still on the winning team. He is so like his Mum and very bossy.  ;)

Sooziecats
Herefordshire - Wanklyn (all variations)
Herefordshire - Preece
Gloucestershire - Bayliss
Gloucestershire - Creese
Gloucestershire - Johnson
Gloucestershire - Emerson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
  • Where is he? Where's the oul crater hiding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Sooziecats:

I am still chuckling at your Dad's 'ball'.  I can think of many responses to that but we need to remember this is a family list!

The rest of you, keep it clean! Your comments, not her Dad's ball!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;D
Maitland- Belfast, Newtonards, Lisburn, Comber
McIlwain-Bothwell, Dalziel, Holytown, Motherwell, Scotland; Belfast, Saintfield, Ballynahinch, Ireland
Laird- Kilcronaghan Parish, & Belfast, Ireland; Bellshill, Motherwell, Scotland
Rodgers & McConnell-Newtonards & Comber