Author Topic: McCormack Allerton L'pool  (Read 1121 times)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
McCormack Allerton L'pool
« on: Wednesday 20 December 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information on Thomas McCormack d 1942 father Jeremiah of Allerton L'pool. Any family out there?
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCormack Allerton L'pool
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Petmas
for genealogy as late as the the 1940's have you tried this website, if you are looking for living relatives
http://www.missing-you.net/index.php
it's very good. Or one called cousin connect think?What kind of information are you looking for? how old was thomas when he died? What information do you have?Any information will help others help you :)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 17:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for Jeremiah McCormack in the Liverpool area on FreeBMD in 1907.  Is that likely to be the father?   Perhaps a brother?
Did Thomas die in the war?   In that case he will be on the commonwealth grave site.   If not then you should be able to find him in the deaths on ancestry.co.uk and that may give his birth date.
Andrea

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both, he was 24, from Allerton,  died as a  result of Operation Chariot (Raid on St Nazaire) and is buried at Rennes some 100 miles away. For some reason his name is not on the Operation Chariot Memorial at St Nazaire and a French guy in Rennes is trying to rectify this. We don't know how he died -  casualty in Hospital or shot trying to evade capture. He was Liverpoool Scottish/ 2 Commando, accounts show they were with the Operation HQ element and tried to break out of St Nazaire by land.. Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Assuming he was born around 1918 ish then you can search for his birth registration around that time.    That should give his mother's maiden name.
Andrea

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, my interest is the circumstances of his death, I have posted on several site and today got a reply from someone who iinfomed me his uncle was part of a guard of honour for him and that the  Germans gave him a full military funeral, the locals mounding the grave with flowers and continued doing so for many years . pete

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Pete
what a lovely but sad,story to hear from a stranger.You can ,in your mind's eye see what a beautiful send off  Thomas had cant you.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885