Author Topic: Merchant Seaman Records  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Merchant Seaman Records
« on: Wednesday 20 December 06 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

From BMD's I know my gt uncle was a merchant seaman. How do I find any records for him? All I know is his birth date, he was a merchant seaman when he married in 1909 and was still one when his wife died in 1912. He was living in Gateshead, Durham at the time.

Any suggestions please.

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seaman Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi hope this link helps .
merry christmas   :)
migky

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/merchant/

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Migky,

I've looked at that site before but not managed to get anywhere with it - I need a site where I can search by name as I have no details of service number etc. Just don't know where to start searching.

Laurina

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 December 06 09:39 GMT (UK) »
There isn't any name search online for merchant seamen as such, and particularly you won't find anything for 1909-1912 unless you know the name of a ship - there was no central register for seaman during those years.  If he continued to serve in the merchant navy past 1913 then you may be able to find him at Kew.  If he was still working past 1918 he should definitely be in those indexes (most of the 1913-1917 registers are missing, I believe, in the same way that many WWI army records are).  But those require a visit to Kew or to hire a researcher to do it for you.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/generalArchive.asp?webType=0 - although the search engine on this site is rather dire (try just using surname if you can), you might be able to find out something about him (for example, if he was awarded any medals in WWI while in the merchant navy he might turn up - try searching on the names of streets where you know they lived as well, just in case).

Have you also checked the Navy records online? -  as some people served in both the RN and the Merchant Navy.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 December 06 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I'll try that

Laurina