Author Topic: John Harris & Jane Dawe Harris - Burnley  (Read 2877 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
John Harris & Jane Dawe Harris - Burnley
« on: Wednesday 20 December 06 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I show John & Jane's family in Burnley in the 1891 and 1901 census records.  Neil of RootsChat.com was able to find the information I was seeking on Jane's brother, John Dawe & his wife Susan and their son regards their deaths.

I'm  hoping someone would be able to find out where and when John and Jane Harris died:  probably in or around Burnley after the 1901 census.  Jane's older (by two years) brother died in 1917.  Her SIL, Susan, died in 1907. That couple is buried in the Burnley Cemetery; I understand from Neil that it is in very poor condition, quite dangerous, and poorly maintained. 

John & Jane Harris had six children I know of whose last names were Harris:  Joseph J. (b.1869), Ellen Dawe (b.1872), Thomas Henry (b.1874), Elizabeth Ann(b.1876), John Thomas(b.1879), and Rosina(b.1882).   The oldest three were born in Cornwall, Elizabeth and John were born in N. Skelton NRY, and Rosina was born in Brotton, NRY.

John was a miner, but his children worked in the cotton mills.  The parents were in St. John the Baptist ecclesiastical parish.

I would appreciate any input anyone could give me on this family.  Thanks.  RedFox   :)
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Harris & Jane Dawe Harris - Burnley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 December 06 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I may have found Jane's death for you:-
Jane Harris aged 57 jan-Mar 1909  8c155 Burnley. I dont know if this is possible with regard to age.????
I looked up to 1915 for John's death but no joy am afraid.

You can look at the indexes free on  www.ancestry.co.uk
best wishes
Jed

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 December 06 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Jed59.  It's been awhile since I've checked FreeBMD because I've been off line.  I'll have to check for her husband and children. 

I've noted the registration of Jane's death in my files and given you the credit in my Source Notes.  So far I'm two for two - I had another breakthrough yesterday with help from another RootsChatter and for about the same time period.  Also for the same family - a niece of Jane's.  It's also been awhile since I've worked the 1900's anywhere but the USA.  Most of my direct ancestors had left England before the turn of the century.  Now that I'm focusing on their siblings, I should have considered the 'new' timeframe.

Happy holidays and best of luck in all your research.  RedFox :) :) :)

USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 December 06 23:17 GMT (UK) »
well im distinguishing between the Freebmd site which are of course on ancestry and the
 GRO indexes which are also there, and freely available..i got that result from GRO index...just a case of trawling through ...
Merry Christmas and good hunting  :)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 December 06 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Jed59.  My mind must be a little fuzzy.  I've gotten certificates from Southport (which aren't free) and I've gotten the info to input for the certificates from FreeBMD (I think). 

What are the GRO indexes?  Free I like and can always use another good source.  FreeBMD is limited - depending if the information has been entered in their databsase.  

RedFox :D :D :D

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 December 06 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Well GRO..government record office  are the original indexes to bdm's held by registrars.
Each local office has its own index (and its own system of filing ).
The reference (in janes case 8c 155) is only relevant to the central ofice at southport, wouldnt mean anything to the burnley folk.

FREEBMD.org.uk is the GRO indexes which are  being transcribed steadily in easily searchable form by volunteers, ultimately they hope to have them all there but as you can imagine this takes time.
Because ancestry sponsor freebmd they have their results; but they also have the indexes from the GRO, which are more complete, but as i say stil free to use, you dont have to join ancestry. The GRO indexes you have to plough through.

An advantage of using the local office is that they will look within a 5 year band,and you can ask them if they have a particular person with eg specific parents....ie to confirm theyve got jane before you send money(currently £7 GBP). Or just write and say you only want a jane harris with a hubby John. or phone em if you want.The address for register offices in england/wales is on www.genuki.org.uk   which is a big site but just put burnley in the search field. If you need any help theres usually folk in the chatroom the small button at top of home page ( we're a friendly crowd with a lot of resources; we do genalogy and have a natter if no one wants help.)
By the way, do call me Jed.everyone else does!!

All the best

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 December 06 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello RedFox

I am not sure if you have already got this information but here is a little about some of the children of John and Jane after they married.

Burnley RG12/3370 Folio 121 Page 50

Joseph J Harris Head M 21 Stoker (Coal Mine) Cornwall Horwood
Esther A do Wife M 24 Cornwall Steveley
John T do Son 1 Lancs Burnley

Address 20 Burdett St, Habergham Eaves, Burnley

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 December 06 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Probable marriage

1888 Burnley OND quarter 8e 337

Joseph James Harris
Esther Ann West

Birth

1889 Burnley OND quarter 8e 186

John Thomas Harris

DS

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 December 06 14:03 GMT (UK) »

Burnley West Ward RG13/3871 Folio 100 Page 21

Thos Hy Bayliff Head M 28 Cotton Weaver Westmoreland Kendal
Ellen Daws do Wife 28 do Cornwall Hen???
Amy do Daur 8 Lancs Burnley

Address 33 Lomas St, Burnley

DS