Author Topic: St Heliers Jersey  (Read 1657 times)

Offline bombergirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Heliers Jersey
« on: Wednesday 20 December 06 23:02 GMT (UK) »
In 1922 to 1926 my Grandfather worked as a plumber to a Edward Le Quesne in 28, New St St Helier. I doubt the shop is still there but could someone have a look and just tell what is there now ?
Thanks
Wordsworth  -  Penistone Castleford Middlesbrough

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: St Heliers Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 06 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi -

I called by 28 New Street yesterday - it is a rather large Victorian-style building but is now occupied by UBS Bank.  It was next door to a well-known landmark, a very old-fashioned menswear shop known as 'The Old Soldier'. 

The firm of Thomas Le Quesne (Plumbers) is still in existence, but has relocated to 2-4 Victoria Street in St Helier.  In the 1987 Jersey almanac the firm was still in New Street. 

It is possible to access some of the old company records from the Jersey Archives ( http://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/home.html )  including payments of wages to employees in 1935-36, 1939-40.  Would this be of any interest to you, if your grandfather was working with them at that time?  Could you let me know his name, and I will try to see if I can find anything more.

Mike
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline bombergirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Heliers Jersey
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 December 06 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Thank you so much for that information. The website was great and I am going to show my dad the pics and information. My dad, Norman and his family lived in St Helier from 1922-26 after which they left to go back to England but my Uncle Doug ( Douglas Hilton Wordsworth) was born in St Helier in 1924. My Grandparents ( Alfred and Ella Wordsworth ) were both salvation Army and grandad was a bandsmemeber there. Dad started school there, am not sure what school it would have been but the elementary school i would think.
Thank you for your help
regards Denise
Wordsworth  -  Penistone Castleford Middlesbrough