Author Topic: SUMMERTON marriage BANBURY 1842  (Read 1564 times)

Offline ezekiel

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Living in the Land Down Under '
    • View Profile
SUMMERTON marriage BANBURY 1842
« on: Thursday 21 December 06 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage cert of my 3x great grandparents, Gayton Mansfield SUMMERTON and Ann, formerly COLLINGRIDGE nee HARDY. The mge took place on 12 April 1842.
I am looking for any information on their families left in England when this married couple emigrated to Australia in September of 1842 - first to Tasmania then on to South Australia.

Gayton's parents were Thomas and Elizabeth Summerton, nee MANSFIELD who married in St Leonard's Church, Shoreditch on 23 Jan 1803. Thomas was recorded as being a 'gardener' on the mge cert of his son.
Gayton had a brother George and both were christened in Much Hadham HERT - Gayton on 5 Nov 1809 and George 22 Nov 1812.
Gayton was recorded as being a 'shoemaker' at the time of his marriage to Ann.

Ann was born c 1801 place unknown and was the daughter of George HARDY, an Inn Keeper if I have deciphered it from the mge cert correctly. She was the widow of  possibly Charles COLLINGRIDGE.
DaisyPetal found a Pallots Mge Index listing for

Charles COLLINGRIDGE b., of Fritwell, co.Oxford
& Ann HARDY, lic
19 Nov 1827 Elsworth Cambridgeshire
which could possibly be my Ann's first mge.

I do not have any more positive info on this lot in the UK but Valda found this family,

1841 census HO107 804/11 folio 10 page 12
Whales Street Kings Sutton  Northamptonshire
Thomas Sumerton 70 Northamptonshire Ag lab
George Sumerton 25 Not born Northamptonshire  Shoemaker
Eliza Sumerton 25 Not born Northamptonshire   
Gayton Sumerton 5 Not born Northamptonshire

which looks very likely to be mine [Gayton is a very common name through all generations] after I  erroneously put my querie into the Buckinghamshire section. 
:-[
I shall be doing lots of searching from this info but would be interested in hearing from anyone with these names within their family research or any suggestions on searching.
Thank you  and Christmas blesings to all.
 :)

GOURLAY; GRAY; HALLIDAY; WILKINSON; NORRIS; AIKEN/AITKEN; SIMPSON; MAHAREY; FIFE;SUMMERTON/SUMERTON/SOMERTON; MANSFIELD; FATHERS;HARDY/HARDEY; NICKS; WILLIAMS; THOMAS; LUDLOW; SYNNETT and others.