Author Topic: St. Lukes marriage look up please  (Read 847 times)

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St. Lukes marriage look up please
« on: Thursday 21 December 06 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This is a very long shot but..........
Could someone help me please?
I have William Timmins who according to various census was born in Middlesex.  He was born in 1797 and his sister in 1793. I have found a William Timmins on IGI and he was baptised at St.Lukes Old Street Finsbury along with a couple of siblings.  At the moment I am assuming this is the right person.  The parents are given as William Timmins and Margaret (this sounds as if it could be correct as every 1st son has been named William so far!).
I wondered if some kind soul could look to see if William and Margaret married at St.Lukes.  As  I said a long shot but you never know!!!
Many thanks
Suziq :D
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Lukes marriage look up please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 06 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Susiq,

I found this in an adjoining parish to St Lukes.

Marriage
William TIMMINGS =  Margaret SIMPSON
20th Feb  1792  St Leonards, Shoreditch

The date is about right for the birth of William jnr's sister in

Hope this helps
Happy Christmas   ;D

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 06 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meliora
Thank you for that, now the next question....... how do I prove that this is the right family and the right parents?
Sorry to be such thicko!!!!
Suziq ???
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline Meliora

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 06 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Susiq.

Never a thicko, we all go tho' this sort of puzzle when we get to that time scale, we just have to look at what we find & what we know & balance the two, looking for any clues that can make us feel what we have found is the right one.

I can only say that in the IGI, on entering the criteria for a marriage for a William Timmins & a Margaret...?..., the one I sent was the only one found & it did happen to be very close to St. Lukes., within walking distance.

I tried to find a bapt around 1770, (marriage being 1792)for William Timmin(g)s but I could not find one, I then looked for looked for a bapt for Margaret Simpson, anywhere in the country.

I found this>>   source IGI

Margaret Simpson
born 28th 1768
bapt. 3rd Mar. 1768
Lying in Hospital, Endell St.,,Holborn
Father   Thomas Simpson    Mother  Margaret.

Two clues here that might help you make up your mind.
Holborn in very close to St. Lukes
Margeret's father was Thomas as was William Timmins jnr's brother, born 1803.
Margaret had a brother also Thomas
born  3rd Apr
bapt 9th Apr.  also at the Lying in Hospital Endell St.

Hope this helps.

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 06 16:34 GMT (UK) »
hi Meliora
You are a star, thank you so much for helping me move on.  As you say it looks like it could be the right family with the clues at least pointing in that direction.  Does this IGI info come from the family search (LDS) website?
Many, many thanks.
Merry Christmas
Suziq :D

Offline Meliora

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 06 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Suziq,

Yes, it is the International Genealogy Index of the LDS available as Family Search on the web.  If you are working in the time scale that you are & you cannot get to the London Metropolitan Archives to look at Parish Records,  it is always the best bet, but beware, there are large churches in London the have not been transcribed for the IGI, particularly in Islington, so it is advisable to check, if possible, the original PRs.

If you have found a birth & the parent info, there is a simple way to find any siblings without trawling thro' the births for the surname.    Click on the Batch no, bottom left of page & in the search form, enter the surname only & the parent's christian names only, nothing else.  click search & a list of all children bapt by those parents will come up.

Good luck & happy hunting in the New Year.

Meliora     ;)
RIP 1927-2018