Author Topic: uniform recognition please  (Read 1129 times)

Offline candyflossyum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
uniform recognition please
« on: Thursday 21 December 06 22:03 GMT (UK) »
hi,
i have 2 pictures of my thompson family,my gt grandfather is on the far right of the family photo,i know that he was in the  2nd battalion royal welsh fusiliers regiment,he was a foot soldier,he joined up when he was 14yrs and 9 months!
the other gentleman in the picture is either alfred or henry thompson  one was in the royal artillery and one was in the royal marines.obviously one of them is not in uniform so its a case of working that one out!

the picture of the man on his own is edward thompson,i know that he was KIA in 1900 but i dont know what armed force he was with.

can anyone help me with my process of elimination?

oh and if anyone recognises the woman on the left give me a shout cos shes driving me mad lol

thank you very much

sharon x
thompson:london
loeber:london
sloane:london/carlisle/ireland
sloan:london/carlisle/ireland
goddard:witham
bates:london
bickmore:witham
morton:kirknewton midlothian

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: uniform recognition please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 December 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

The gentleman on the back left was in the Royal Marines going by his cap badge and collar dogs. Interestingly he is wearing The Brodrick Cap which came into use in about 1903.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline candyflossyum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 December 06 22:32 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much,a very big hello to uncle henry ;),the picture was taken in 1909 which would make henry 43 so its a possibility that the lady below him is his wife.she just hasnt aged so well :o

thanks again.
sharon x

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 December 06 22:40 GMT (UK) »
only too glad to have helped sharon,

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline candyflossyum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 December 06 22:45 GMT (UK) »
i noticed you have thompsons in your names,i suppose it would be too simple that any of ours are related??
worth a shot i suppose lol ::)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 December 06 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Sharon, sending you a PM with regards to my Thompsons.

old rowley

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 December 06 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just being a bit more specific or piccy  :)  He was in the Royal Marines Light Infantry.

Happy Crimbo
Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline candyflossyum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 December 06 18:32 GMT (UK) »
thank you salty,now all i have to do is track the bleeder down lol
x sharon