Author Topic: Grave yard etiquette  (Read 48065 times)

Offline White Lady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grave yard etiquette
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 December 06 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I don't feel that we are being disrespectful, if there are any spirits there, I'm sure they look forward to Alex coming in the morning to brighten up their day 

I agree with you Wheeldon I am sure the spirits are uplifted by your daughter's presence.  She sounds so sweet. 

I occasionally walk through a graveyard and the path are the gravestones, but I always read them and reflect on the circumstances of their passing as some of them died very young.

Christina
Birch Durham
Bearpark Bilton Harrogate

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 December 06 17:44 GMT (UK) »
As my husband and I are both interested in local and family history we often go to graveyards. When our 3 children were younger they were taken along. Actually middle child's first buggy ride was from our house to parish church when she was about ten days old and when little she used to line up her toy dominos in rows and called it playing graveyard. To stop the children from running about, getting bored, etc. I used to bring each a jar of bubble water so they could spend the time there blowing bubbles. When they got a bit older they liked to help find names we were looking for and reading inscriptions.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 December 06 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Several of my family are buried in a local lawn cemetery.  Lovely and peaceful place, with little plaques set level to the ground.  You really have to walk over graves here, but I always have the feeling that the people don't mind and are happy that the living are visiting.  I am always mindful of those who lie below as I walk across the lawn.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 December 06 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am glad its not just me who feels awkward about standing on memorials etc, I always try and walk round them, sometimes this is not possible, so I always apologize to the 'grave'.

I also take my boys with me to search for names and always tell them to be respectful, walk round etc if possible, my youngest son Bill, likes to pick up the flowers and place them back where they belong. 

I always think its nice to see people in a graveyard, at least they care.

Merry Christmas

Jane :)
LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 December 06 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I always think its nice to see people in a graveyard, at least they care.

Absolutely.  On a recent "field trip" I came across a graveyard where half of it was completely overgrown - probably all over my ancestors.   No chance of walking over anyone's grave -  two to three feet above, yes, but not on the gravestones.

But the previous day I'd been elsewhere and the graveyard was tidy, with many graves with flowers.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline 01debbie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dear Nan, Sybil Edith Grace Boxall 1909-1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 December 06 13:57 GMT (UK) »

Absolutely.  On a recent "field trip" I came across a graveyard where half of it was completely overgrown - probably all over my ancestors.   No chance of walking over anyone's grave -  two to three feet above, yes, but not on the gravestones.
JULIAN

Sad, isn't it Julian...the old cemetery in Southampton, on the Common, is huge.  Many of the early graves were moved from St. Marys that was literaaly overflowing in the mid 1800's.  I can't get near my Greats either, unless as you say, I was able to hover above them.  Southampton City Council has taken the policy to allow nature & the wildlife to take over half the cemetery.  Ok, lovely butterflies & the odd squirrel, but there's also hundreds of rats running here & there.  Then there's  needles etc left by ?people of the night I assume.  Other parts are tended, it's just such a shame to see some of it has been left to rot & be exposed to vandalism too.

Sorry, rant over  ;)

Merry Christmas,

Debbie
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 December 06 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I find it amazing that some cemeteries are "kept up" while others have just been left to the elements.

As to walking through or over other gravesites I say "sorry" or " I apologize if/ when I happen to step on another gravesite. I try to bne as respectful as I can.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 December 06 00:03 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't seem right to step on someone's grave. Our parish church is kept tidy but trees keep encroaching from the hedges. Dad's grave keeps sprouting suckers which get worse the more I cut them. I think they will need some brushwood killer as a last resort.
Gt-gran and gt-grandad are "2 doors down" in one of those square jobs with an angel monument and kerbstones to keep the stone chips in place. The angel has lost her hand and I once got caught on my hands and knees rummaging round in the chippings trying to find the missing part. I was going to explain- "It's my great grandad's- I'm looking for the hand" but I thought the better of it luckily :-[ ;)
fred

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 December 06 01:59 GMT (UK) »

JULIAN

Sad, isn't it Julian...the old cemetery in Southampton, on the Common, is huge.  Many of the early graves were moved from St. Marys that was literaaly overflowing in the mid 1800's.  I can't get near my Greats either, unless as you say, I was able to hover above them.  Southampton City Council has taken the policy to allow nature & the wildlife to take over half the cemetery.  Ok, lovely butterflies & the odd squirrel, but there's also hundreds of rats running here & there.  Then there's  needles etc left by ?people of the night I assume.  Other parts are tended, it's just such a shame to see some of it has been left to rot & be exposed to vandalism too.

Sorry, rant over  ;)

Merry Christmas,

Debbie

My grandparents are in a city cemetery and I remember as a child my father telling me they paid the council a lump sum to look after it - having a senior moment but I thought it was for posterity although I may be wrong.

Yuletide Greetings,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke