Author Topic: Cornwall Parish Records Volume 1 REQUEST  (Read 3068 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cornwall Parish Records Volume 1 REQUEST
« on: Saturday 23 December 06 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your offer  :)

Do you have information on the marriage of Roger WILLIAMS and Hannah KENT at Langteglos by Camelford in 1852? Particularily I'm trying to find out more about Roger's father.

Also the birth, 1853, of Mary WILLIAMS at  Camelford. 

Much thanks,
ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall Parish Records Volume 1 REQUEST
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 December 06 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Marriages Sep Q 1852 - Camelford District - vol 5c page 34
Roger Williams and Hannah Kent both on same ref

Both fathers will be listed on cert (apologies if you know this already ;))
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 06 09:06 GMT (UK) »
No problem. Yes, I do know. I'm working laterally at the moment; I just don't know if this is the correct marriage for my ggg grandmother's brother Roger. His father should be John Williams.

I don't know who the mother is though and unfortunately that isn't on certificates.

While I'm at it, I don't have information on Rebecca's first marriage to someone with the surname LYNE. It might have been around 1832, at least they had a son John LYNE born about 1833, but these were in Devon, anyway.
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline borneo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 December 06 19:41 GMT (UK) »
How old was Roger on marriage ?

Brian
Willoughby - Marlborough/Wiltshire
Thomas - llandanwg
Williams - Ebbw vale
Cottrell - Bristol
Staddon - Somerset
Hughes - Morriston
Hoskins - Devon

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 December 06 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian (!),
Thanks for asking. I don't have  much more info than what I've posted - nor do I have any of the certificates. That's kind of why I was requesting the look-ups   :D.  In the "look up offers" MATTY had posted that she could do look ups in the Cornwall Parish Records Vol 1 , so I was wondering if those I mentioned were listed.

The Roger Williams linked to my family was born in 1825 at Great Torrington, Devon but he went to live with his sister in Cornwall. I can't be sure he is the one that married Hannah Kent in 1852 -  :-\ thus my query.

Nor can I be certain that the Mary Williams was Roger's daughter, but I feel there is a good chance because of where she was born. Again, this is why I am seeking more information!

cheers,
ard

Offline borneo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 06 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Obviously you found him in the  1851 Census at Langteglos by Camelford, born as you said Great Torrington.
There is a Roger at that place (GT) in the 1841 Census, age 15 but as a lodger with another family.
There is also a John of a fatherly age (48) with Eliza (43) Thomas (10) Mary (7) Margaret (2) and Eliza (3 months) Barwood farm, G. Torr.
In my opinion, and with a surname of Williams, you have to obtain the certs for proof

Births Sep qtr 1838 
Margaret Williams:    Torrington    10   275

Brian
Willoughby - Marlborough/Wiltshire
Thomas - llandanwg
Williams - Ebbw vale
Cottrell - Bristol
Staddon - Somerset
Hughes - Morriston
Hoskins - Devon

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 December 06 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,
I have info on Roger from several censuses up to 1881.

By 1861 he is a widower with three young children and oddly doesn't seem to have remarried. As I mentioned, he is the brother of my ggg grandmother Rebecca Williams (Lyne) Harding. My interest in him is mostly in hope to eventuallyt further my knowledge of their parents. I figure the more information available to work with, the better. I really can't afford to send away for certificates that are just possibilities.

I believe this is Roger in the 1841, '51, '61 '71 and 81 censuses:

occupations: servant; slate quarryman; coal miner;

1841 census HO107/221/24 Folio 8 Page 9 Veal's Darracott
Great Torrington

William Ward age 30 Farmer
Ann age 30 (wife)
Roger Williams age 15 servant
Margret Couch age 50, servant
Richard Hern age 20, serv.
William Sissex age 13 servant

1851 census HO107/1898 133 14 Langteglos by Camelford, Cornwall

John Harding, head, 31, Slate Quarryman, b. Devon Buckland Brewer (my ggg gandfather)
Rebecca, wife, 38, b. Devon Torrington (my ggg grandmother)
Elizabeth, dau, 6, b. Cornwall Langteglos
Mary, dau, 2, b. do.
Rebecca, dau, 1, b. do.
John Lyne, son in law (step son), unm, 18, Cordwainer, b. Devon Torrington
Roger Williams, brother in law, unm, 26, Slate quarryman, b. Devon Torrington

1861 census RG9/1541Folio 58 Page 4 Edmonton St Breock
Cornwall

WILLIAMS Roger Head 35 Widow b G Torrington Devon Slate Quarry Labouree
WILLIAMS Mary Dau 7 b Cornwall
WILLIAMS Betsey Dau 5 b Cornwall
WILLIAMS Jeremiah Son 3 b Cornwall

1871 census RG10/5410 Folio 40 Page 40 15 Lower Station Street, Aberdare, Glamorgan

home of Alexander J BROWN 48 Coal Miner (Wiltshire) Wife Harriet (Somerset) and Children Glamorgan

WILLIAMS Roger Boarder 48 Widow b Great Torrington Devon Coal Miner
WILLIAMS Jeremiah Boarder 14 Unm b Fricklestock Devon Coal Miner

1881 census possibility

John ROWDEN   Head   M   Male   54   Wiltshire, England   Coal Miner     
 Elizbth. ROWDEN   Wife   M   Female   52   Gloucester, England   Coal Miner's Wife     
Roger WILLIAMS   Boarder   W   Male   55   Devon, England   Coal Miner     
 Jeremiah WILLIAMS   Boarder   U   Male   23   Devon, England   Coal Miner     

36 Chapel St
Glamorgan, Wales
RG11/5324 Folio 23 Page 40

thanks again for your interest.
ard