Author Topic: Chippendall  (Read 4793 times)

Offline bobed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Chippendall
« on: Saturday 23 December 06 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Anyone have Chippendall in IOM listings? I have one married to part of my family in Ireland.

TIA.
Neill Patterson Dilworth Chippendall

Offline ELLinSpain

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chippendall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 January 07 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

in the 1841 IOM census, there are:

Eliza Chippendale c1786
William Chippendale c1776
William Chippendale c1831
all in St Helier
this is the only family that comes near the spelling that I can find in Channel Islands

1841 Scotland
there is  Lucy Chippendall c1821 born England + Sarah c1821 but living in Row, Dumbartonshire, Scotland

this later one is the only one I can find on the whole of the census

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 07 20:31 GMT (UK) »
?I'm totally confused - since when has the Isle of Man had any association with the channel islands - we are some 300 to the north in the middle of the Irish Sea !  Is this another Ancestry.com invention alongside the Mormon insistence that the IoM is part of England.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline bobed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 January 07 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies - it might be just a slip of the keyboard.....

The Chippendall I have, his father was in the IOM volunteers in the 1800s and in the British Army in (possibly) the Boer War and/or India. Father and son are both buried in Ireland.

There is also a Lucy who died in 1902, so that could be the same lady! I understand the family were originally English.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 January 07 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I have the the adjutant of IoM voluteers in 1861 as John Chippendall (see manxnotebook) - I always assumed this post was an appointed one by the British gov (ie non Manx)  but maybe I'm wrong - however I have no ther ref apart from a strange entry in Thwaites 1863 directory - Chippendall Mrs. Charlotte, M.D., 45 Buck's road - under miscellany (female doctors at that time were I think unknown so maybe MD stands for something else - in 1851 census she is a english born widow with a youngish family all born in east indies (another daughter working away from home has born Madras - so sounds a bit like an army family)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline bobed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 07 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frances,

Thank you for the information.

I think that's the same John (Armitage) Chippendall - he died in 1919 aged 83. He was an army man and served in India, so I guess its all the same family. His son Charles was, I think, in the Royal Engineers.

The only other bits I have are from FreeBMD - John was married in Pancras in 1864. There was a Charles born in West London in 1861, but my local church records have Charles' death in 1951 aged 70, so that might not be him.

I don't have a Charlotte!

Thanks again for your help.