Author Topic: Macauleys in Salford  (Read 1658 times)

Offline simac1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macauleys in Salford
« on: Monday 25 December 06 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Have traced my name back to my GG grandad Thomas McCauley who arrived from Belfast with his wife, Jane and 2 daughters Emma and Margaret between 1869-71.  They had a further child Robert in 1877 who was my G grandad.
Robert had Ernest who then had another Ernest (my dad)
I know Ernest my grandad had several brothers of which I only know of Alfred, Thomas and John Roy.  I know virtually nothing of these relatives, other than someone along the line became a Don and moved to Canada? and I know for certain one of the great uncles moved to Poulton le Fylde

Ant help greatly appreciated.
cheers Simon.
(GG auntie Emma went on to become a Howard.)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Macauleys in Salford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 December 06 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, I see you haven't been here long.

Can we pin you down a little - if you don't have a year/date of birth for your grandad Ernest McCauley, do you have your father's date of birth which will hopefully help us along a little bit.

Do you know where they lived in Lancashire?

I hope we can help you with a little bit more informaton.

Merry Christmas
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 December 06 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I suspect this is your family in 1871 - all born Ireland
1 Back Phoenix Street, Pendleton, Lancashire
Thomas McCauley Mar 26 Wood Turner
Jane Wife M 26 Flack? Spinner
Margaret J daur 4 Scholar
Emily daur 2
RG10/4009; Folio: 143; Page: 2
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 December 06 15:03 GMT (UK) »
7 Brettorg Street, Pendleton in Salford, Lancashire
Thomas McCauly Head M 36 Sawyer Ireland
Jane Wife M 34 Ireland
Emma daur 13 Scholar Ireland
Robert Son 4 Pendleton Lancashire
George Son 1 " "
RG11. 3946; Folio: 74; Page: 19;

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 December 06 15:09 GMT (UK) »
3 Providence Place, Pendleton, Lancashire
Thomas McCawley Head M 45 Wood Turner Ireland
Jane Wife M 42 Ireland
Emma Howard daur M 23 Cotton Winder Ireland
Robert Son 15 Printers Apprentice Lancashire Pendleton
George Son 12 Scholar " "
Walter Howard Grandson 11 months " "
RG12/3207; Folio 33; Page 26

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon,
sorry if you have this already hope he's yours (spellings vary):

1901:  RG13; Piece: 3719; Folio: 146; Page: 4.

Robert McCauley 24 yrs P ----er (Puddler?) Iron Works b Pendleton
Julia wife 25 yrs b Swinton
Sarah E Williams niece 15 yrs  laudress b Bootle
Maud A Bond visitor 34 yrs cotton weaver b Ashton u Lyne
Emma Hulme boarder 28 yrs laundress b Pendleton
Robert McCauley son 3 months b Pendleton

There is a marriage on free bmd - Robert Macauley to Julia Williams

There are 13 births (12 boys) on Free Ancestry bmd - MacAuley including Ernest 1900- 1910. Some of these may belong to George the brother of Robert I suppose.

Sorry I can't help in any other way- you may be able to follow them through parish registers/ electoral lists perhaps but as you are then entering recent history the parish registers may not be available.

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline simac1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guys,
I see you have tracked down all the known info of Thomas and Jane's direct line in Salford.
It took me about 2 months to get that far:-)
I know pretty much all that stuff plus the fact that George and Maggie seemed to have died young.  Also the infant Robert who shows on the 1901 census, he seems to have also died young as there is no trace of him anywhere after that and my dad never mentioned an uncle Robert.  My grandad Ernest was not shown on the 1901 census as he was born December that year and they missed him. It's through getting his birth certificate from salford registrar that I tracked back.  I had to guesstimate his age and the fact he was born in salford but i struck lucky (not many ernest Macauleys in salford circa 1901!)

Its really the other uncles I would like to trace and there anticedents.  But mainly I would like to see how far back I can go with my paternal line. I have to either go to Belfats and check the records for births and marriages or pay someone.  I have also posted to the antrim roots site.
Thanks for your help..very prompt!
Cheers Si Mac.

Offline simac1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Another little tibit is that my great grandad Robert worked as you have noticed at the Salford Iron Works.  It seems also did my maternal great gdad at the same time in 1901, he was called Pat Walsh, an Irish emigre also but from the south.  Ironic that there grandchildren would eventually marry yet from different faiths. (my dad was Protestant and mum catholic)  Not such a big thing in England now but it makes me laugh when I think of them working side by side!

I would love to be able to track some of the other macauley great uncles just to see if they had any photos of my GG Grandaddy/mum fascinating isn't it?
Cheers Si.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 23:42 GMT (UK) »
good luck Si - I'd opt for a few days in Belfast to get in touch with your roots!
Kath
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk