Author Topic: 1851 census look up for Egan Please.  (Read 8523 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census look up for Egan Please.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Nancy Oliver died in Port Stanley on 5th December 1924, age 84.  It's definitely her as her parents are John Eagan and Hulda Phillips, however it disagrees with the 1901 census as regards her birthday, placing it on 22nd April 1840, instead of 6th June.  It's possible the informant didn't actually know her birthday.

She was buried at Port Stanley Union Cemetery on 8th December.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann Egan met my Charles John Rowley as they had a child also Charles John Rowley born London Southwark Middlesex 1859 and they didn`t get married untill 1873 in Newcastle upon Tyne as that is where my Rowley`s were living, so i wonder where Mary Ann got to in 1851 census. I might find her yet.

Okay, getting down to business.  In 1861 the Rowleys were living at 9 Elswick East Terrace.  It's actually just a hop, skip and jump from the Centre for Life :)

Charles John Rowley Jr was born in Bermondsey, Surrey, registered in the fourth quarter of 1860 (not 1859).  This is corroborated by the census entry where he's 6 months old.

Mary Ann's age seems reasonably consistant from census to census.  48 in 1891, 37 in 1881, 28 in 1871, 18 in 1861.  However in both 1861 and 1891 her birthplace suddenly switches from Ireland to Leeds, West Yorkshire.  Curious...

On the offchance, I tried for a Leeds born Mary Egan of appropriate age in 1851 and did find one.  However the father was one Matthew Egan, which the marriage certificate you have would appear to discount.

I dunno, I'm a bit stumped :-\  She's there from 1861, but before that just disappears.  Coincidentally the Mary from Leeds disappears after 1851, but her dad's the obstacle.

Just out of interest, what's the name on the certificate for Charles Rowley's father?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello silverhawk you are doing a grand job and it was strange why Mary Ann had Leeds for her birth place unless she forgot where she was born and her age was out of place in census, may be she wasn`t all that bright.  I have their marriage cert infront of me and Mary Ann signed with a X but her age of 31 was right and the marriage took place at St. Mary`s  Catholic Church Newcastle on Tyne.    Charles John Rowley`s father was John Rowley and i have all the Rowley`s going back as they originated from Northld.  I have all the census as well apart from the 1901 as they were not on :(
Thank you for the details of Charles John Jr so now i will send for his birth certificate.

Thats a great lot of info you have sent me and spent time looking for them Egan`s, it sure is a bit of a mystery for Mary Ann.  I have to look through all the other info to day  what you sent me on Headstones and website and marriages and i am pleased as punch with it all, you have been a great help.    :) :)
I often wonder why Charles and Mary Ann had a babby down London and where did he meet her, oh well thats the way it went.
Mary Ann might pop up in 1851 one of thse days  ;D

Thanks a lot and Much Appreciated.   gladys  :) :)

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello silverhawk again how do i find the birth and death dates on that site please also i forgot to mention that John Egan born 1820, his father was Patrick Egan born 1806 Clare Ireland, his wife was Bridget Foran as on your message you said there was a Patrick Egan may be Johns father. Could be a relation some where i suppose.  John Egan 1820 had 7 siblings including a Mary 1852 so i guess the Mary Ann 1842 would`nt be his kid sister. :)  Its mind boggling but very interesting.   gladys  :)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure on those dates?  It means Patrick would have just been 14 when his son was born :-\

When you're given a whole branch of your tree, I find it's always best to go through it and prove the links yourself.  You never know if the person handing you the names has slipped up somewhere, especially if you're working with a lot of the same names in the same areas.

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi silverhawk you are quite right as i was just going off the info i got sent but now ive thought about Patrick born 1806 he couldn`t have  been John`s father born 1820 and i never checked that properly which i have all ways done with  other familys.  So i gather its looking for a John Egan born about 1820, Ireland, do you think so.   Can you help me or have you had enough as i know you have done a lot of work for me and i appreciate it very much.   I will have to email Angela and let her know that Patrick Egan 1806 couldn`t be John`s father.   I would put a request in for John Egan born about 1820 but i haven`t any parents for him now.  I don`t know what to do.  ???  gladys :(

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 16:00 GMT (UK) »
At this moment all you are reasonably sure of is that Mary's father was John, an oilcloth maker.  I shall have a look in the St Catherine's Index, just in case the Leeds birthplace for Mary is correct.  If it's Ireland, you may never know any more as you really need to know the county the person was from :(

I have found this webpage on the IGI.  Unfortunately it doesn't give any further details but has a contact name and address for the person who submitted it.

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Silverhawk yes you are right if Mary Anns birth place is Ireland then i am at a brick wall then will have to leave off there.  Sue Rowley i have been in touch with for a nunber of years thats how she got that info as her husband Kevin Rowley is on our rowley tree.    I got an email straight back from Angela and she has emailed a person who is on the Patrick Egan family  so here`s hoping.     What a calamilty :)  Thanks for all your help. gladys  :)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look for an appropriate Mary Egan/Eagan from 1842-1844.  Nothing there unfortunately, so unless they just didn't register her, she was probably born in Ireland.

She must have said Leeds for a reason though, so perhaps the family stayed there for a time when she was young.  I don't know if there's a record office in the vicinity, but it might be worth visiting it or contacting someone who can visit it as there may be some parish documentation of the Egans there.