Author Topic: Can't read placename on passenger list.  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Can't read placename on passenger list.
« on: Wednesday 27 December 06 06:24 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping someone familar with Irish geography could help me.  On Ancestry.com, there is an "Edward Oconnor" born about 1886 arriving in Boston on 19 Jun 1913 on the Laconia.  I believe he's my great-grandmother's cousin.

If you view the passenger list (Edward is on line 25), under part 11, the name and complete address of nearest relative or friend in country from whence alien came, it has the following:

Father Martin OConnor
      Kilcolgan
_______? ???

I can't make out the word after Kilcolgan.  I looked at http://www.thecore.com/seanruad and found various Kilcolgan results under townland & civil parish, but nothing seems to match this word.

Other O'Connor relatives seem to be from either Kerry or Galway -- and of course there're Kilcolgans in both counties.

I wasn't sure if I could attach a copy of the record, as it's copywrited, but there is free access to Ancestry's passenger list through the end of the year, so I was hoping someone could look at it and help me out.
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't read placename on passenger list.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Amy,

The other word looks like Kinvara. If you 'google' Kilcolgan, Kinvara they come up together in Galway and seem to be close to each other.

Sorry if you already know this but some of the manifests have two pages and if you look at the next page you get more info re Edward. I am writing it here just in case it helps to place him in your family.
It says his brother paid his fare (can't read the name!) but mentions an uncle P J O'Connor, Nahant and perhaps an address 76 Grant ..
hope this helps
best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, as this is the most specific location I have located yet for the family (usually they just give the county).

No need to apologize, I did see the second page.  That's how I determined he's related, as those are my O'Connor's relatives in Nahant (just not positive how they're related to mine). The brother's name is Thomas, by the way, who lived right near P(atrick) J.  The writing is awful, but it looks like it's "Thos."
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 06 16:37 GMT (UK) »
You say could not post the readout because it was copyrighted?
A good tip to know when this type of thing happens, click ctrl and print screen, then open a paint programme and click ctrl and then v
This will post the image on the screen as a new page in the paint program and you can save it. You can cut it, or play around with it any way you like.
 Regards.
 Tom.

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 06 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I already know how to attach an image, or portion of an image, to a post.  In fact, I've attached part of a record I had photocopied from microfilm on Ancestry's boards before.   It's just numerous times on RootsChat I have seen images removed from messages by the people overseeing the boards. 

I was in fact considering "cutting" out the word I couldn't read & attaching that image, but decided at the time it would've been too time consuming.  I would've actually used photo editing software.