Author Topic: Mary Gordon from Marnoch  (Read 33685 times)

Offline susanhs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mary Gordon from Marnoch
« on: Thursday 28 December 06 04:51 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Mary Gordon!! Birth, christening, census.....

She was born circa 1854.
By 1874 she was a domestic servant in Aberdeen and had an illegitimate son born 1874 named John charles Hunter Gordon.  Perhaps she left Marnoch because of the pregnancy.

I haven't been able to find her on the 1861 or 1871 census.

In 1891 at age 36, she is single, living with her 16 year old son in Dundee City/ Angus.
Abbott, Broadhead, Cope, Corbey, Dancer, Mee, Minter, Morrell, Pearson, Shenton,  Smith, Towle

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gordon from Marnoch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 06 11:29 GMT (UK) »
hi susan, how is she related to you?

do you have death cert?

did she ever marry?

did she have a middle name?

i have found 7 mary gordon's born in banff, which one is yours on the 1861 census?

just a little clue will help

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline susanhs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 06 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe,

I'm afraid I don't know much more.  She is not related to me but is the great-great-grandmother of a close friend of mine who is terminally ill with ALS.  I think they call it MNS in Britain.  We live in Toronto, Canada.

My friend has the hereditary kind and is hoping to trace his tree to find out more.  It seems to have affected only the males in his family so the fact that his great-grandfather was illegitimate is not helping much!

Then only census information I have on Mary Gordon is the 1891.  I haven't found her yet on any other. I am basing her birth as circa 1854 because she was 36 in 1891.

I have the birth record for her son. I don't know when she died.  I know she was living in June of 1897 from her son's marriage record on that date.  At that time her surname is still Gordon.  I don't think she ever married or had any other children.

Her son's middle name Charles Hunter may be a clue.  Also on the birth record for John Charles Hunter Gordon's son William Paterson Gordon,  John's name is listed there as John Charles Hunter Paterson Gordon.  I don't know how the name Paterson fits in.

I wish I had more.  Thank you for your help!

Susan

Abbott, Broadhead, Cope, Corbey, Dancer, Mee, Minter, Morrell, Pearson, Shenton,  Smith, Towle

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
hi susan, so sorry to hear about your friend, Big christmas and new year hug from scotland.

think we need monica and gadget to work their magic on this one, if they can get you back far enough i can help.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 06 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan  :)

Joe has asked me to see if I can help.

First - possible short cut  - do you have any idea when she died? I had a quick look but she could have moved on - do you have her on the 1901 (no you don't - just read your posting again). It's always best to work back from what you know, last sighting, etc.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline susanhs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 06 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Thank you for your help!!

I don't have her in 1901 but in 1897, from his marriage record, her son was living at 45 Canal Street, Perth.  I don't know if she was still living with him at that time.  She was listed as a Jute? Spinner.

The marriage took place in Dundee.  The bride,  Janet C. Leven was living at 1 Littlejohn Street, Dundee.

In 1901, the son John C H Gordon is living with his wife Janet and their 2 daughters in Perth. 

Is any of this helpful?
Susan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 December 06 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

This is all very strange - as I said to you in my PM, I've found a poss in the1901 but not conclusive. I've checked the 1881 census for both but nothing obvious. Monica and I have both found a poss in the 1861 with grandfather in Aberdeenshire, but again not definite but the only one possible  :-\

I like to work backwards but this is getting very odd. I wonder what happend 1871 - 1881?

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline susanhs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 December 06 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Gadget,

Thank you for your efforts!  It is odd.

Would you please post the 1861 information that you think might be right?  Though not definately them, I would love to see it.

Regards,  Susan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 December 06 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

This is the info showing on the index for 1861. This Mary is the only one showing a Marnoch birth place and approx. birth year that would fit:

Margaret Cooper, head, 61, Pauper Stockins Knitter, b. Turriff, Aberdeenshire
Mary Gordon, granddaughter, 8, b. Marnoch, Banffshire

Address: 68 xx, King Edward, Aberdeenshire.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk