Author Topic: Anyone live in or near Tynemouth  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone live in or near Tynemouth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 07 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Sirius,

Places..

Although I am a native of south-east Northumberland, (Blyth), to cope with the business of hierarchy of places in C19th, I have had to "unlearn" my knowledge of modern-day places, which just complicated my research.

e.g. In 1800s half of Blyth (today's most populous town in Northumberland) lay within and under the sway of Cowpen, one of the five "townships" of the ancient parish of Horton.  The other half of Blyth lay within the parish of Earsdon.

So Blyth people got bapt, married or buried at Horton or Earsdon, depending on which side of the parish boundary line (Union Street) they lived. And knowing this would help me look in the right place for the required info

But by now Blyth, once the new boy on the block,  has gobbled up all it's elders.. and Cowpen is just one of it's satellites.

I found that some pages on Genuki web site were very helpful for me trying to learn about civic and ecclesiastical administration...... there is a "live" map of Northumberland showing it's parishes ( click on any to get the full A-Z of whatever parish, including all the towns and villages etc, lying within each parish)..

There is also a list of Northumberland Registration Districts, showing each Districts sub-district offices, and all the places covered by the District Office.

So, for example, you can see that Tynemouth parish and Wallsend parish are two separate entities. But for BMD registration purposes, Wallsend was under the jurisdiction of Tynemouth RD ( but to save Wallsend folks shoe-leather, one of the ten or so sub-district offices was situated in Wallsend.... and one in Blyth, and North Shields, etc.

We shall next discuss Urban Sanitary Districts.... only kidding.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 January 07 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Michael
Is there no parts of North Shields Fish Quay area left from 1840-1860
Brian
Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 January 07 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Brian,

Although I am anative of nearby Blyth area, I was never very familiar with North Shields.

But summer gone I was at the "fish quay" with some Australian folk, it seemed to have many visitors, sampling the several restaurants ( not just fish) on the river's edge.

I have a modern street map, so can tell you yes/no for specific streets.

Michael D

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline John Dixon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 18:26 GMT (UK) »

Brian and Bernie,
There is still parts of the Fish Quay left.  Bell St, Low Lights Tavern, The Dolphin
The Fort,  The Low lights.   

Tynemouth was a Borough until about 1968 and included North Shields, Tynemouth Village, Cullercoats, Murton, New York, Chirton, Percy Main, East Howdon, Chirton, Preston Village.
John Dixon
NORTH NORTHUMBERLAND & TYNESIDE