Author Topic: CAMPANY-EXLEY-GEERING-GOLDUP-HOLCOMB-HUNTLEY-WHORLOW-WYBORN research names  (Read 1659 times)

Offline laughing granny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there anybody out there researching any of these names.? If so it would be good to hear from you.

Most are from the Blean and Mersham areas and it is rumoured that one of the family members was the last woman to be hung in Maidstone Gaol

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPANY-EXLEY-GEERING-GOLDUP-HOLCOMB-HUNTLEY-WHORLOW-WYBORN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 07 00:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a one-name-study for the WYBORN name - one of our branch committee is the coordinator.

I have a connection with the GOLDUP family - one of my SHARP ancestors married a Mary GOLDUP in Wye.  I haven't really researched the name, but I have a few entries from the registers.

Frances Kidder became the last woman to be hanged in public when she was executed by William Calcraft at Maidstone on the 2nd of April 1868 for the drowning of her stepdaughter.

Taylor, Louisa Jane, hanged by William Marwood at Maidstone on Tuesday, the 2nd of January, 1883.

These were, apparently, the only women to be hanged at Maidstone from 1868-1955.

Did you know that, as late as 1789, women were still being burned for high treason?  Prior to that it had been the statutory punishment for murder by a woman.  The last burning on 18th March that year was for "coining".  This usually involved filing or cutting small quantities of metal (silver or gold) from coins, thus reducing their value, and was a treasonable offence, punishable by death.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline laughing granny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 07 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Bill,

Thanks for the info on the Wyborns and the hangings

The family rumour is that whoever this woman is she killed her husband and son by poisoning-nice woman!

I've not quite sussed out the Goldup bit yet. At present all that I know is that she was known as granny Goldup and married into the Harmsworth family.

I shall have to put some effort into that one over the weekend

regards

Granny

Offline camberwellbeauty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Laughing Granny,
I believe that i am a distant relation to the Goldup's of Wye, my ggggrandfather was Daniel Marden who on the 1841 census has a Maria Marden living with him and his wife and 2 daughters in Sellinge, Maria is around 11 years old at the time , i have always wondered if Maria was Daniels sister, but only around a month or so ago i came across a Maria Marden born 1829 who's father was John Marden and mother was Jane Goldup, this couple were married in 1804 and i think Maria would have been their last child, but i can't find any link with them and my Daniel Marden, but i live in hope, i have been told that all the Goldup's originate from Wye Kent.