Author Topic: 63rd Regiment of Foot (1830, Tasmania) - Sgt MACKIE/MACKEY  (Read 6689 times)

Offline lexiabain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 63rd Regiment of Foot (1830, Tasmania) - Sgt MACKIE/MACKEY
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 02:53 BST (UK) »
A few more thoughts then on the films:
May I suggest some urgency? I went to the State Library of QLD on Sunday, and was told that some of the films had degraded (in a toxic sense) and been withdrawn - so I can't continue searching until I go next to the Mitchell or National libraries - hopefully they are still in service.

As for finding what you want on the films, first use the finding aid (it's online too, as well as being a booklet in libraries) to check the War Office reel and piece number to start from. Forward though the reel until you get to the correct piece number on the right side. Once you get there, it is less tiring if you skim until you come to the page labelled 'sergeants'. There will be one or two pages per pay quarter. Read across the page and it should tell you how much money per day, over what period (eg 90 days), whether the soldier had earned a increase and the location of the soldier.

With respect to the private I am researching, I had a non-effective date, so I elected to research the last film first (see my previous post about the genie-details I got by doing that). You will get that benefit too once you can access the regimental record at the (UK) National Archives. There is a page or two at the end of each quarter detailing soldiers who are non-effective, died, discharged, transferred. Such a shame your sergeant survived Tasmania (and India?) only to die on the voyage back to Britain - but there might therefore be information on him in the ship surgeon's log.

I assume your sergeant's children had relatives to take them in: lucky hmm. I am no expert on the subject of British military pensions, but I believe the system supported the soldier himself not his family.

It is very tiring work - and from what library staff have told me, there are no plans to re-film. I wish you luck in your search here and at Kew. If you do go to Kew, maybe a search will given you a physical description - wouldn't that be something!
Lexia

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 08:15 BST (UK) »
What do you mean by regimental records? The NA have withdrawn individual service records now that they are on FIndmypast. They do have the original musters though. The ones for Qtr 2 1861 and 1871 were used to produce the indexes for those years on FIndmypast. But do not always give the individual's exact location, while the original musters do.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
I am no expert on the subject of British military pensions, but I believe the system supported the soldier himself not his family.

Hi Lexia

Correct, there was no widows pension until 1901 backdated to 1899. Even then it was only for up to six years, or until the widow remarried.

For the last one or two decades of the 19th Century one and a half pence per day was kept back from a soldiers pay. This was normally given to the soldier when he transferred to the Reserve, or he could claim it after 12 years. This would be given to his wife if he died, along with any outstanding pay. There were savings funds (similar to penny in the pound) that a soldier could join. But they would only have a few pennies a day after stoppages.

Children of soldiers were one parent had died could be sent to the Chelsea Military Asylum from 5 until they were 14 for boys (16 for girls). I have checked and no McKays/MacKays were admitted, with the father being in the 63rd Foot.

Ken

Offline lexiabain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 October 15 10:00 BST (UK) »
What do you mean by regimental records?
Thanks for your replies Ken. We are, I'm sure, all trying to help others, particularly when we are far away from the repositories (as Cando and I are).
A regimental record would be any record created by officials about a regiment, or sent to someone in a regiment and kept on an official file relating to a regiment etc. The quarterly returns (musters) are really good genie-wise; and there's also the files on soldiers' physical appearance (WO25?) and those relating to English and Irish military hospitals/ pension arrangements.
Isn't it great they weren't subject to a destruction order, or burnt in WWII. I am grateful for these types of records, since the 'other-ranks' are usually not well covered in official records.
I am also trying to provide advice relevant to the place and time (the 63rd were in Australia from about 1827 to 1833). I can't assist with the particular sergeant, but I expect Cando will get to the Mitchell Library (ie NSW State Library) before I do.
I'm quite disappointed that the relevant reels are 'missing' from the QLD State Library, and won't be replaced, but I expect it's a matter of resourcing constraints.
Regards
Lexia

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 December 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello. just discovered this link and read with interest as my ancestor Peter Dougherty was a Private with the 63rd and in VDL at the same time as your ancestor. It is likely that Edward and Peter would have known each other (but what kidn of professional relationship they had we can only wonder). Summary of Peters time with the 63rd -
1820. Garrisoned in Ireland (Mayo?)
1826. Serves in Portugal for 18 months. late summer 1826 to early 1827
1827. Guard on the convict ship ‘Governor Ready’ to Hobart Town, 3rd April 1827
1827. Arrives in Hobart Town 31st July 1827
1830 (?). Moves with company from Hobart Town to Swan River.
1834. 28th April 1834, 2nd Company leaves Swan River for India, arriving Madras 26th May.
1837. Discharged from the army 11th July 1837 after 17 years, 300 days service.

Tasmania Library and Swan River Pioneers were immensely helpful with my research and provided invaluable information about Peter and his family's whereabouts in VDL so do contact them. As suggested, the  muster record at Kew was my prime source. I've no immediate plans to revisit but if I do I'll look up Edwards records and pass them on. I'm happy to pass on what information I have so if required do send me a personal message.

good luck

Denis
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 October 23 03:00 BST (UK) »
I am so sorry to have taken so long to get back here to this Forum and specifically, this thread.
I lost a lot of my access information due to a computer failure, and have only just now worked my way down to this site!   I am sooooooo slack!!!

In any case, an UPDATE TO Sgt MACKIE/MACKEY !!!!

In 2016 I spent 5 months in the UK (I live in Sydney, Australia) and spent a lot of time with the War Office records for the 63rd Regiment, specifically my 3rd Great Grandfather Edward Mackey.

During my time at Kew in The National Archives (TNA) speaking with the staff there, I found out that the only WO records available digitally or online have come from similar researchers visiting Kew and transcribing records specific to their requirements who have posted the data on their own databases as sources or blog entries, etc.

I came away from Kew with over 100 images taken from the 63rd Regiment Muster Rolls. I have created a timeline of the Regimental movements and also discovered the date my 3GGF left India for England.

It was such a worth-while visit to Kew!!!!

Megan in Sydney Australia
Australia/Scotland: Turnbull, Mackie/Mackay/McKey, Wilson
Australia/England: Hardy, Miller, Turnbull, Comber, Mackie, Tilley
England: Barratt/Barrett, Berridge, Bird, Booth, Bostorne, Buszard/Bussard, Hill, Jacomb, Jarvis, Marston, Miller, Noon, Persival, Roe, Smalley, Tilley, Weston, Wheat, Witsey
US: Tilley
England Counties: Leicestershire, Essex
Scotland: Roxburghshire
Wales: Llewellyns, Jones, Gower, Bowen & Morgan