Author Topic: Offer: Llangynwyd and Maesteg Cemetaries  (Read 18701 times)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
Offer: Llangynwyd and Maesteg Cemetaries
« on: Friday 29 December 06 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello all - this is my project for New Years (and most of 2008 too I suspect)

I have loads of relatives buried in St Cynwyds Church and Maesteg Cemetary, but getting hold of the burial records in Llan is a nightmare, and Maesteg you can only do during a work day (assuming you can find the staff).

I'm planning to either take my digital camera and photograph all the graves, or at least start transcribing them - Obviously this is going to be an enormous task, but I hope to put out some sort of alphabetised booklet of burials - not going to include the plot numbers as this will be big enough as it is.

I'm going to start with any of the smaller churches (Welsh Baptist, etc), and am willing to post them out to whoever wants them - I'm not internet ready in the house, only work, so I may knock up CD Roms for sale - let me know how interested you are, and I'll see how quickly I can get this together (be warned I am still doing my house up at the same time!
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llangynwyd and Maesteg Cemetaries>>>
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 December 06 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Halfasheep

It sounds a great project, but i would recommend contacting The Ogre to see how far his project has got - might save you two duplicating effort? The ogre is sadly deceased

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Ah - didn't realise someone else was up to this mammoth task as well - thanks, will contact Ogre then

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Glamorgan family history society - i believe they have a CD of Llangynwyd church grave inscriptions and various booklets on some of the smaller chapels in the area.
I also remember reading in their quarterly journal that they were attempting to start a project with regard to cemetery records including Maesteg. They may have a project you can assist with.
Let me know how you get on as this area is of particular interest to me also, my free time is limited due to work commitments but I would be willing to help if possible.
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 08:20 GMT (UK) »
It sounds as though some great cooperation could come out of your suggestion Sheepy!  Thanks for your pointers Welshjo.

Please let us know how you get on, Sheepy.  It would be interesting to know what projects are ongoing and needing volunteers, in case others are able to volunteer - perhaps you could let us know?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I do believe that there is a booklet or CD, but there are a lot of new graves up there now (some of my relatives included) to replace wooden crosses or just plain unmarked graves (in my family's case).

Not sure if they have photo's of the graves though - I may also have access to the FULL burial records for Llangynwyd through a relatives father-in-law who has got the whole lot on a CD (his own work) which includes plot numbers, addresses of the deceased, etc - I'm working on getting a copy, so at least that would help some people.

I'd like to get photo's of all the graves anyway - there's so many people willing to help on here, it would be nice to be able to give some back - plus I'm sure the GFHS would appreciate copies of anything I do.

Thanks for the offer of help - I'm going to try and start organising my time and what needs to be done this week (back in work and going away for a fortnight in February), so will probably really start on this in March. I'm hoping to also get maps sorted of the cemetaries marking the relevant locations of graves - lets face it, it's one thing knowing the grave is there, but another trying to find it!

In reply to Arranroots, The Ogre hasn't got Maestg (and area) listed on the website - don't know whether it's in the pipeline, but I got a message un-deliverable back from the e-mail I sent??

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 08:30 GMT (UK) »

In reply to Arranroots, The Ogre hasn't got Maestg (and area) listed on the website - don't know whether it's in the pipeline, but I got a message un-deliverable back from the e-mail I sent??

What a shame!  I don't know him personally, but perhaps others do - please reply here!  I have a feeling he has been on RC at some stage, but might be quite wrong about that.

Edit: here he is! Try a PM? http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=14847

;)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Cheers - have PM'd them now - going to blow the dust off my digital camera - have printed maps of the cemetaires from google local and will blow them up a bit and go from there!

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 January 07 16:05 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE

have managed to spend a few very windswept and wet Saturday mornings tramping in Llan cemetary - didn't realise what a huge task this would be, and lets face it, it's a hell of a lot smaller than Maesteg Cemetary (although not as well set out).

Have currently mapped the locations of half the graves and memorials in the new half, but the wind and rain has meant transcribing has had to take a back seat for the moment.

Am going away for a fortnight soon, so work will continue towards the end of February

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork