Author Topic: Fletcher/Lucas Families in Salford  (Read 1024 times)

Offline pippalew

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Hannah Slater
    • View Profile
Fletcher/Lucas Families in Salford
« on: Friday 29 December 06 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for descendants ofWilliam Fletcher and Ada Fletcher (nee Lewis)...I found one of the family graves in Agecroft, the grave of Ada Lucas and Barbara Lucas, Ada Fletcher's daughter and granddaughter, killed in the Christmas Blitz in Lower Broughton in 1940. William and Ada are buried there too.

I thought I was the only person visiting this grave until I went at Christmas and found a wreath there.  I am hoping someone might know something, I will also be putting an ad in the MEN and leaving details at the cemetery office. Any other suggestions people? Thanks, Pippa
Lewis  -  Manchester/Salford, Bowness
Brown -  Chorley, Whittle le Woods
Sheldon - Barton, Salford, Macclesfield
Shepley - Barton, Eccles, Salford
McCabe - Eccles, Salford, New South Wales

Cemeteries and Local History Preservation

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Fletcher/Lucas Families in Salford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 06 12:32 GMT (UK) »
cant suggest anything else other than trawling through the Birth indexes for kids with the appropriate mums maiden name..death certs might give a clue via informants details.
There are about 70 or 80 Lucases in the north west m/c phone book..maybe looking at those with a
manchester a-z, see who is near..ish to agecoft might throw something up.alternatively /also wait till next Christmas and do the same but a bit earlier....arouse their curiosity ????Or conjunction of above.
best of luck

Offline pippalew

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Hannah Slater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 06 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those suggestions. I will do them both. Someone at genesr suggested taping a note in a plastic bag to the grave. I'm not sure I want to do that, does it seem a bit disrespectful? Would value opinions please!
Lewis  -  Manchester/Salford, Bowness
Brown -  Chorley, Whittle le Woods
Sheldon - Barton, Salford, Macclesfield
Shepley - Barton, Eccles, Salford
McCabe - Eccles, Salford, New South Wales

Cemeteries and Local History Preservation

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi pippa

Isn't it nice to know someone is visiting the grave?  Of course I'd visit next year, earlier as suggested - and leave a wreath with a visable note, but I was thinking  in the meantime - birthdays and stuff - perhaps I'd try to find, a pleasent looking plastic box, something like that, pop a note inside, in a plastic bag, and leave it at the grave - just in case.

I think it would be really nice to know the people who went to the effort of going at Christmas - what we really hope is that MEN comes up trumps for you.

Happy New Year
Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire