Author Topic: Great Ryburgh.  (Read 756 times)

Offline junep27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Ryburgh.
« on: Saturday 30 December 06 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Please would anyone know where I can access parish records or even purchase them for Great Ryburgh.
looking for 1780 time and before that.
many thanks. JUNE.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Great Ryburgh.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 06 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Lots of info if you 'google' - 'Parish Registers Great Ryburgh Norfolk'
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 23 00:07 BST (UK) »
My family were in Great Ryburgh by late 17th century.

Back in 2011 I accessed (and downloaded) some pages of the Parish Register.  I believe I got access via the Norfolk Parish films that FamilySearch had uploaded for public access. Norfolk was (I think) the pilot for the project.

When I look at [https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Great_Ryburgh,_Norfolk_Genealogy] there is a spreadsheet showing that Indexes and images are available from FamilySearch from 1500 onwards.  Other providers are also listed.

I have now hit a spot in my research of the SIZELAND family of Great Ryburgh where I could benefit from reading the Parish Register page by page, but I cannot find Great Ryburgh in the England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997 online collection [https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1416598]

I eventually found the film of the Parish Register for Great Ryburgh on Find My Past (I have a subscription) [https://search.findmypast.com.au/record/browse?id=GBPRS/NORFOLK/PD_621-1/00461]

As I believe Family Search mean for this film to be available free of charge (as part of the Norfolk Collection) maybe someone here could post how to access the film via Family Search.

Note for those who have a subscription to FindMyPast - Search for all records, leave both given and family name fields blank, make the location Great Ryburgh, Norfolk, move the search radius to EXACT, sort the results (there are about 2,600 hits) into date order, then choose the earliest date presented to you.  You will get viewable access to the whole film, including the lead-in information.  ---

Page 1 of the film says film emulsion number 16390127, Film Unit HRP 51867, Project number ENGL 0640A, Roll number 515. Great Ryburgh, Parish Registers, Item 6, 1547-1693

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 April 23 09:18 BST (UK) »
I'd be very interested in any information you get about Great Ryburgh ( Ryburgh Magna ) as my Nelson ancestors hailed from there, also Colkirk, Little Ryburgh, Whissonsett and Warham as well as Fakenham.
The Nelsons all had large families so there were many intermarriages with other villagers but I haven't tracked all the other surnames.

Thirty years ago I toured St.Andrew's church graveyard and found many more Nelsons than my grandparents could remember.
My grandfather, Alfred Percy Nelson (b.1901 ) married Elsie Gooch.
I'll post a picture of the local football team 'The Swifts ' when I can transfer it from my archived Flash Memory Sticks.
Norfolk Family History Society have many records which you can access, also worth becoming a member.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 23 09:50 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/ryburgh_great.htm

www.doun.org   ... I don't know if this is a currently live source but I have lists of surnames from Walsingham, Ryburgh Magna from there.
I got most of my Gt. Ryburgh info from Freereg 1.
I'll post other sources as I find them.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 April 23 09:56 BST (UK) »
Just by chance I've discovered a C. Sizeland in the newspaper photo of 1930 /31 Ryburgh Swifts footie team.
cheers, Ian
PS. the Attachment function appears not to be working... I'll try later

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 23 10:02 BST (UK) »
Trying again to upload a pic of the Swifts
no function available ... could Admin check the Attachments function,
cheers, Ian

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
It is not included in the list of Norfolk parishes available to view on FS

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01s8j/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 April 23 20:08 BST (UK) »