Author Topic: 1901 American Herbalists in Atherton  (Read 6593 times)

coffeecup

1901 American Herbalists in Atherton
« on: Saturday 30 December 06 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for a missing family on the 1901 census and if anyone can please help me trace their whereabouts I'd be very grateful.

The details on the 1891 census are as follows: 5 Queen St Atherton

James Jarvis Wiggins head abt 55 Herbalist born Vriginia USA (British Subject)
Emma Wiggins wife 52                                  born St Helens
Emma Stewart step daug 19                        born Sutton Oak
Major Stewart son in law 26 Herbalist's assistant  born North Carolina USA (British Subject)

I think this Emma Wiggins is Emma Daniels (nee Alcock) who lived in Moss Nook Sutton with husband George Daniels a slater from the West Indies. There is a marriage for her daughter Emma Daniels in Leigh in 1890 to Major Stewart. I've never been able to find a death for Emma Daniels mother and now believe she remarried, though the only marriage I can find is to a Benjamin Wiggins in Prescot in 1882.

I've never figured out why my Daniels family disappeared after 1881 from Sutton, and think this may be the answer, however, I'd like to confirm I'm on the right track and find the Wiggins and Stewarts in 1901. Can anyone trace them please?

Thank you

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 American Herbalists in Atherton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 06 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Could this possibly be your Emma's death ?

Emma Wiggins March qtr 1900 age 59 Wigan 8c 129
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 06 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I think you are probably right about the marriage of Emma, on the LancashireBMD site there are two surnames given for her - Alcock and Daniels which means that one would be a maiden name and the other a previous married name.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 06 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Do you think they may have gone back to America?  Have you checked any passenger lists?

I'm having no luck with the 1901 census.

coffeecup

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 06 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I've just checked the BMD and you are absolutely right with your observation, this confirms what I've been looking for. Her maiden name was Alcock. Married name Daniels.

I have no idea if they went back to America? There's nothing of them that I can find in England prior to 1891. Interestingly though on the census he is named as James Jarvis Wiggins and the marriage is to a Benjamin Wiggins. I'll send for the certificate but it does confuse the issue a bit. Maybe Major Stewart returned to the USA, I haven't found any children for them.

This is great progress though, thanks.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 06 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Be careful when you place your order, it would seem that his name may have been spelt WiggEns.  Yes Benjamin is strange, but maybe as you say the certificate might answer some questions, there's no mistaking his occupation is there  ;D

coffeecup

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 December 06 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody have access to a trade directory 1891 - 1901 to see if there are any 'herbalists' operating within the Atherton area?

I'd really be fascinated to learn a bit more about this. Wiggins or Stewart please?

Thanks very much if you can help?

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 December 06 09:51 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of links to directories on line here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,23992.0.html

and don't forget http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

coffeecup

« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 December 06 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Mary,

Nothing covering Wigan/Atherton directories in that lot for after 1891?

To update, I have found a Benjamin WIGANS on 1881 census RG11 4993/47 PG 20 in Bishopwearmouth Durham. Says he's a Herbalist (sub med)? born AMERICA in 1821, a widower, with a housekeeper and a servant. I wonder if it's him? Bit of a co-incidence.

Put's him at 60 in 1881 and abt 55 in 1891, and then found a death in Wigan for 1901 for Benjamin Wiggins age 59! It sounds like the same man, but this is pretty confusing.....and the name James Jarvis? Still, marriage certificate is ordered, so we'll see?

What next?