Author Topic: 1901 American Herbalists in Atherton  (Read 6594 times)

coffeecup

Re: 1901 American Herbalists in Atherton
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Latest update. Marriage cert arrived today. Where on earth did the name James Jarvis appear from on the 1891 census? It's definately Benjamin on the marriage cert.

Prescot Register Office 10th May 1882.

Benjamin Wiggens age 46 widower herbalist of Hardy Street St Helens. NO father named! To Emma Daniels 44 widow of Crofs Nook (think that means Moss Nook?) Sutton. Father William Alcock, copper smelter (deceased).

Witnesses Thomas and Sarah Freisby.

It seems that Benjamin moved about quite a bit. Also there's no obvious household for him to be in, looking at the 1891 census for Hardy St. None of his ages line up at all, so maybe he really didn't know? It's a real pity there's no father there, I had my fingers crossed, never mind. Still this is all good stuff, it's the proof needed. If the Freisby's are relatives I don't know. There's none even near Lancashire that I can find.

If anyone has anything to add to this, connections, family names, herbalists, American and West Indian british subjects, I'd welcome hearing from you.

Thanks for all your help Mary, I'd not have found these certificates without your input. I really appreciate it.  ;D

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 15:11 GMT (UK) »

Hi Steph !

I can't answer your questions I'm afraid - but I thought maybe you might like to browse through this and see if you can see anything useful !!

http://www.linkpendium.com/genealogy/USA/VA/ALL/

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 15:13 GMT (UK) »
He's one of those leg pullers who told everybody a story I'm sure of it!!  The writing was quite clearly James Jarvis wasn't it? sheeeesh!!!

I assumed the surname would be Frisby just a misspelling, but I can't find any near enough, or a Thomas married to a Sarah either for that matter, of a similar spelling.  Is the writing clear or would it be a good idea to post a piece of the cert for others to see whether they can decipher it?

Having said that, I hoped for the witnesses to be a clue to my own gt grandparents marriage and when I found them discovered that they were "professional witnesses" and belonged to the church, doing the favour for many couples and probably didn't know any of them.  :(

I'm lost to know where to turn now except Canada and US Censuses, they are available for much more recent ones than we have here so fingers crossed they turn up.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

coffeecup

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Annie I'll have a good look through that, see if anything turns up.
It's back to the question of why they said they were British Subjects. I wonder if it means they were naturalised here or that they were from British fathers who had emmigrated to the USA? I've had the same question with Emma Alcocks first husband, George Daniels from the West Indies, in 1851 he said he was a 'British Subject'. None of them had named fathers on the wedding certs. I've come across a few USA census with various Benjamin Wiggins listed as farm hands, wasn't everybody though? and they have mainly been 'mulatto', which I've sinced learned means of mixed race. This is the big question, and taking the origins back further with little to go on, at this stage seems like a mammoth task.

Thanks Mary for trying again with the witnesses. It's actually one of the clearer records, the writing is legible for once, it's definately Freisby. This was a second marriage and at the register office, could they have stood in on that day? Sarah is not a name I recognise at all with the brides family. If she had connections with Benjamin Wiggins, well it's not obvious is it?  And yes I agree I bet he was quite a character, American, a sort of authority on healing when doctors were in short supply and beyond means, I'd love to know what went on there. All this new info is an absolute bonus. When they say surprizes turn up, they're not kidding!

Offline kermit49

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 March 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
I know your posts are somewhat old, and I am wondering if you solved your mysteries?
Emma Daniels/Stewart is my Grandmother.  She and Major apparently split up and Major left after some financial irregularities  related to his employer Jarvis Wiggins.  They had one  son, Berwick Virgil Stewart. Emma was a stage performer, and she apparently went off 'looking for ' Major, although it seems she may have been performing in England and on the Continent during this time.  Major reputedly  died in Holyhead although we have not found any documentation of this.  Emma subsequently married Isaac Meakin, my grandfather, in 1912 in Doncaster.
Emma Wiggins is buried in The Catholic Church of St. Anne and Blessed Dominic, Sutton, St Helens, with George Daniels her first husband, Joseph Daniels, her son who died in 1884 aged 13 and Kate Kenyon her daughter who died in 1919 aged 61.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.  I hope Coffeecup has a valid email address linked to this site since she doesn't appear to have logged on since October, 2008.

It's great that you will be able to bring her up to date with the family.  Best of luck.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Buz buz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 September 23 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
I know your posts are somewhat old, and I am wondering if you solved your mysteries?
Emma Daniels/Stewart is my Grandmother.  She and Major apparently split up and Major left after some financial irregularities  related to his employer Jarvis Wiggins.  They had one  son, Berwick Virgil Stewart. Emma was a stage performer, and she apparently went off 'looking for ' Major, although it seems she may have been performing in England and on the Continent during this time.  Major reputedly  died in Holyhead although we have not found any documentation of this.  Emma subsequently married Isaac Meakin, my grandfather, in 1912 in Doncaster.
Emma Wiggins is buried in The Catholic Church of St. Anne and Blessed Dominic, Sutton, St Helens, with George Daniels her first husband, Joseph Daniels, her son who died in 1884 aged 13 and Kate Kenyon her daughter who died in 1919 aged 61.

Hiya I'm a relative if yours, my auntie has done some ancestor research and all I can say I'm stunned! I'd like to chat with you if possible?

Offline Buz buz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 September 23 21:38 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have access to a trade directory 1891 - 1901 to see if there are any 'herbalists' operating within the Atherton area?

I'd really be fascinated to learn a bit more about this. Wiggins or Stewart please?

Thanks very much if you can help?

I'm related to you, I'd like to chat if possible