Author Topic: 1901 American Herbalists in Atherton  (Read 6595 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 American Herbalists in Atherton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 December 06 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Our ancestors sure did like to confuse us.

Keep us informed about what's on the certificate when it arrives!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

coffeecup

« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 January 07 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mary.

I'll post the result up when it arrives. Fingers crossed. This has been a bit of a surprize all round. Had no idea these people existed until I was trying to find Emma Daniel's death and couldn't. I stumbled across it almost by accident. I think it's really interesting. The American link is great. Her first husband, my gt gt gt gt grandad was from the West Indies, though my knowledge of him ends there.

I'm really grateful for your help, especially finding the name Alcock on the marriage, which absolutely confirmed it for us, thanks again.

Happy New Year

Steph

coffeecup

« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 January 07 19:27 GMT (UK) »
The first of the marriage certificates is here.

St Joseph's Catholic Church Chapel St Bedford Leigh. 29th Jan 1890.

Emma Daniels 17 spinster of 5 Queen St Atherton, father George Daniels, slater (deceased) to Magor Stewart 23 bachelor, Herbalist (assistant) of 14 Lord St Pennington. No father named. (pity!)

Witnesses Kate Kenyon (Emma's sister) and James Henry Anderson.

Still no trace of them yet in 1901, but it's a start.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 January 07 20:04 GMT (UK) »
It's still a mystery, I can't find them either.

How has this Kate Kenyon come into the equation?  who is she married to and when? and have you found her on the 1901 census, families often lodging together .........
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

coffeecup

« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 January 07 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

There were four daughters in all of George Daniels and Emma Alcock.

Katherine Daniels married James Kenyon at St Thomas's Eccleston Parr in 1880.

Her other sister Agnes married Thomas Henthorn at the same church in 1878.

Interestingly they did all live next to one another in Moss Nook Sutton. George Daniels and Emma (Alcock) Daniels with daughter Kate Kenyon and son in law James Kenyon, next to them Agnes and Thomas Henthorn, and also Edward and Lucy Yates, who was the eldest daughter. They married in Leigh in 1876. Of course after 1881 George and Emma disappear, I now know he had died and she remarried in 1882 to the herbalist Benjamin or James Jarvis Wiggins. (awaiting certificate!) Kate and Agnes stayed in Sutton upto 1901, Lucy and Edward Yates split, (lots of mystery there) and the youngest girl Emma clearly went to Atherton with her mother and later married Magor Stewart.

After that.....?

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 January 07 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Well I see you've already done your homework to check whether mum and stepdad were living in with one of the other kids  :(  It's always worth chasing up strays in the family, they often tend to turn up a surprise.

The Benjamin/James Jarvis is a head spinner isn't it, I look forward to hearing what the cert. says, pity there were no children with the one you found in 1881, I can't believe that it wouldn't be the same guy, the age will tell won't it.

I wonder if looking for deaths/burials might be of help http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/StHelens/ to see what Parish Registers are held at their library.

I notice that this site lists burials for Sutton http://tinyurl.com/hkg9p

And Wigan World might be of help http://tinyurl.com/ye5a9d

I wonder if there's a chance he could have been listed in any trade directories? Try http://www.historicaldirectories.org/ and also there's a link Sarah has posted http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,23992.0.html the third posting down that page.

Mary

coffeecup

« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 January 07 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary, thanks for the links.

The death certs arrived today for both Benjamin and Emma Wiggins. They had moved to Ashton in Makerfield, and had died just before the 1901 census.

2/3/1900 death of Emma Wiggins aged 59 of 111 Bolton Rd Ashton, wife of Benjamin Wiggins herbalist. Informant Minnie Yates grand daughter.

11/2/1901 death of Benjamin Wiggins age 59 herbalist of 109 Bolton Rd Ashton again registered by Minnie Yates.

Minnie was the daughter of Edward Yates and Lucy Daniels. I now know she was married at St Thomas's Ashton in Makerfield in 1901 and can be found on the census as the wife of James Lodge in Ashton.

So now I'm wondering if Emma and Magor Stewart did go to the USA? Why wasn't she present at the deaths? hmmmm?

Thanks again for your help and interest Mary.

Steph

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 January 07 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Well I certainly can't find deaths under either the name Magor or Major, Emma isn't so easy to check of course.

I've checked what I'm able with my sources and on Ellis Island but no Magor or Majors there either.  Of course we're assuming that it would be America but I suppose it could just as easily be Canada or Australia or anywhere. 

Why not post a look up request on the Emigrants boards for both America and Canada censuses and see if anything turns up there.

Mary

coffeecup

« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 January 07 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts Mary, that's really good of you to have gone to such trouble.

Your suggestion is an idea, I may well try that, thanks.

Kindest regards,

Steph