Author Topic: Hacketstown Lawlor.  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hacketstown Lawlor.
« on: Saturday 30 December 06 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I am at a loss as to where to go from here having failed to knock down that proverbial brick wall with everything Ive got!  I have the marriage certificate for my G.Grandparents giving the following information.
Feb 3rd 1870
William Lawlor aged 21yrs, a shoemaker of Hacketstown , father James, also a shoemaker 
Mary Coogan aged 19yrs a farmers daughter of Sillogue  (Father is John, )  married in the R.C. Chapel of KnockananaCo. Wicklow.
I have managed to trace Marys old home in Ballinasillogue Co. Wicklow during a trip to Ireland. How do I find Williams old home? I am not familiar with Townslands and Baronies. I have written to several churches seeking help but have not had one reply. It would appear William was born in 1849 so where do I start looking for a birth certificate as I am informed there was no civil registration pre 1864. I long to find the place where William came from. Sadly, I do not even have his mothers name. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am now in the 4th year of this search.  I should add I have only just found the grave of Mary in a Dublin cemetery (where they moved to from Wicklow) and am still looking for Williams grave.Thank you.  Bridget x :(
Lalor/Lawlors in Co.Kilkenny
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois
Lawlors and Hennessy in Dublin

Offline j r

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hacketstown Lawlor.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 10 23:54 GMT (UK) »
try contacting the chuches by phone,they are very helpful.
also try irish geanology government site,this may be useful. :) :)
    j r.

Offline Bridget 19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 10 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you jr. I have even visited the church but could never find anyone there! However, I will do as you suggest. Thanks again

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 February 10 14:42 GMT (UK) »
The records for the parish of Hacketstown are available on microfilm in the National Library in Dublin - see microfilm # P.4191. Baptisms and marriages are covered from 1820. The churches do not always hold records this old, so it's probably better trying the National library first.

The parish is partly in Co. Wicklow, and baptism records are available in that section of then Irish Family History Foundation website at : www.irish-roots.ie I'm not certain if the have included records for the Co. Carlow section of the parish.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Bridget 19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 10 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help Shane.  I will try the National library when I am next in Dublin.   Bridget

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 10 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bridget,
www.interment.net
has a cemetery in Wicklow that has Lalor from Hacketstown and also some Coogan names.
Have a look there and you might know some of the names mentioned, it also has Hacketstown cemetery recorded.
Jack
(Portlaoise)

www.eircomphonebook.ie
has a Patrick and James in Hacketstown

Offline Bridget 19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack, I hope you are both keeping well. Thanks for that I am off now to have a look.  Bridget